Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Xieng Kok Laos

Posted by petertoowoomba on 16/7/2018 at 22:34

Hi Guys Just wondering if anyone has been to Xieng Kok lately and if so how did you get there ? I will be travelling early November so river travel I presume will be out because of the water depth .. Cheers

#1 petertoowoomba has been a member since 23/11/2015. Posts: 6

Posted by telmi on 18/7/2018 at 18:55

I doubt if water depth would be an issue since Nov. is just after end of rainy season and Mekong water level would typically be quite high. The real issue blocking river travel by foreigners is safety and security. Not sure lately but in the past Mekong speedboats were very reluctant to carry foreigners on the Mekong between Xieng Kok and Ban Mom due to risk of attacks by outlaw extortionist drug-running groups along the way. The road from Muang Sing to Xieng Kok is likely still safe. The Mekong bridge at Xieng Kok is finished but not open for use by foreigners to enter Myanmar.

#2 telmi has been a member since 1/1/2013. Posts: 30

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by petertoowoomba on 18/7/2018 at 20:03

Hi Telmi thank you for that I will try the bus from Muang Sing

#3 petertoowoomba has been a member since 23/11/2015. Posts: 6

Posted by SoManyMiles on 7/8/2018 at 04:29 TF writer

Hi petertoowoomba,

I was last in Xieng Kok in February 2018 and the situation is as telmi has written up. Speedboats don't run here with low water levels (lots of rocks and rapids) but aside from that, people are reluctant to take foreigners. This area on the river is mentioned on a few foreign embassy's websites. The bridge is built but not open to foreigners.

The road from Muang Sing to Xieng Kok is a bumpy one. Personally, I don't find Xieng Kok to be interesting. I would recommend spending more time in Muang Long . The morning market is fantastic, lots of ethnic diversity, especially the Akha, and off-the-beaten track trekking in this area.

I rented a vehicle and drove to Muang Sing - Muang Long - Xieng Kok. A local bus in the form of a songthaew connects the three (you may have to change and wait in Muang Long). Xieng Kok accommodation is very basic and there's limited eating options. Muang Long and Muang Sing have decent guesthouses and are more comfortable bases.

hope this helps

#4 SoManyMiles has been a member since 7/2/2014. Posts: 132

Posted by petertoowoomba on 13/8/2018 at 19:04

Hi SoManyMiles thank you very much for that. I was intending on going Xieng Kok for the reason that it is on the banks on the Mekong. I am a photographer and am trying to stop over and photograph as many towns on the banks of the River as I can. I started last year in Jinghong and got as far as Nakhon Phanom before I had to come home. Heading back in November and thought would try to do this before heading back to Thailand and carrying on to the Mekong Delta.

#5 petertoowoomba has been a member since 23/11/2015. Posts: 6

Posted by telmi on 14/8/2018 at 02:18

I think you s/b careful taking photos in Xieng Kok as much underworld trading and other activity goes on. A western visitor went missing a few years ago and has still not been found. Especially risky is taking photos of cargo in the boats. A somewhat lawless area with drugs, endangered wildlife trading, illegal logging, etc.

#6 telmi has been a member since 1/1/2013. Posts: 30

Posted by petertoowoomba on 14/8/2018 at 05:01

Hi Telmi thank you for that I think I might just give Xieng Kok a miss. Appreciate the info .. Peter

#7 petertoowoomba has been a member since 23/11/2015. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.