Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Landing in Vientien and want to do the Tha-Khaek-loop -Feasable?

Posted by tomworld9 on 6/3/2019 at 04:06

Hi, This will be my first visit to Laos, but unfortunately I will only be there 5 days. I will arrive the evening of March 13 and must be back for noon flight on the 18th. Is it feasible to get to and do the Tha Khaek loop and be back in time for my flight? If so where should I hire a motorbike? I've read the trip guide, but wondered if there were some favorite places not to be missed? accommodations especially inviting? restaurants not to be missed?

If you think this is an unrealistic itinerary where would you suggest I go on this brief visit? I know I will be back and live in Vietnam. I really like motorbike touring. Thank you for your feedback!

#1 tomworld9 has been a member since 18/10/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 8/3/2019 at 01:00 admin

Hi,

Yes it is possible—people ride the loop in as little as two days, so you could do it. Something like:

March 13 Arrive in Vientiane stay overnight
March 14 Morning bus to Tha Khaek, arriving mid afternoon then hire a scooter
March 15 Loop
March 16 Loop
March 17 Finish loop and late afternoon bus back to Vientiane
March 18: Fly back to Vietnam

So, is possible, though not ideal. With more time, would be a more comfortable spread.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,005
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by khunwilco on 10/3/2019 at 01:40

Whatever you do, don't miss the Klong Lor Cave - the river going through a mountain......... awesome experience

#3 khunwilco has been a member since 30/4/2014. Posts: 11

Posted by SoManyMiles on 13/3/2019 at 03:17 TF writer

Hi, am a bit late to chime in but this could be handy info for others:
If pressed for time, you can skip staying overnight in Vientiane and take an overnight bus from Vientiane to Pakse. You can request to stop in Tha Khaek, arriving in the dead of night, but as long as you book accommodation ahead of time and let them know of your late arrival, it should be ok. They are used to it because the Pakse-Vientiane overnight bus also stops here (on the highway just outside of town) in the middle of the night. Tuk tuks are usually waiting.

New Zealand aid recently helped put more tourism infrastructure on the loop. Haven't seen the results yet but there should be more signage and possibly brochures for things, cool springs got an upgrade.
https://www.mekongtourism.org/wp-content/uploads/LTSA-Newsletter-Nov16.pdf

#4 SoManyMiles has been a member since 7/2/2014. Posts: 145

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.