Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Bus travel in Laos

Posted by Moshbat on 4/12/2019 at 19:09

Hi there, I'm planning a trip in January 2020 to Laos for 4 weeks possibly taking in a bit of Vietnam. The first two weeks will be Vientienne, van vieng, luang prabang etc and will see how I feel about the travelling.
I am wondering what the bus travel is like over there, do the vip buses have room, recline etc. I am 53 and need a bit of space to stretch the aches and pains out! Also what are the daytime temps like over there mid 20's? I get more indecisive as I get older and am a bit tempted to go to South India for some heat and recuperation but like the sound of Laos. I've done plenty of backpacking more recently around South America and its been a long time since I have been in SE asia.

#1 Moshbat has been a member since 19/11/2019. Posts: 2

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by antoniamitchell on 5/12/2019 at 00:14

Hi. I just left Laos yesterday, so hopefully I can help a bit.
It probably won't be particularly hot in northern Laos in January - winter average highs are typically mid-twenties, with overnights dropping into the teens (although at the moment they're having a cold snap, and it's getting down into the single figures at night). So it's good temperatures to walk around, sightseeing, without getting all sweaty but you will want a sweater or jacket for the evenings and early mornings, and if you want heat, it's unlikely to satisfy.
I only took one VIP bus in Laos, and it was fine for legroom. Surprisingly, even the local buses were okay (not fantastic - I couldn't stretch out - but i could fit in without my knees pressing against the seat in front, which is something I can't always do on local buses in my native England). For overnight trips, there are also sleeper buses with flat beds (although I avoided those as I prefer daylight travel for safety).

#2 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 565
 Send antoniamitchell a private message   Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by Moshbat on 10/12/2019 at 22:43

Thanks Antonia your post is helpful. I have decided to go to Laos for four week. I'll spent a couple of weeks in the North and then maybe head south or into Vietnam. I'm really looking forward to it. I plan to do the usual van vieng, luang prabang and nong khiaw and then see how I feel. If I fancy some warmer weather I can always head south..!

#3 Moshbat has been a member since 19/11/2019. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.