Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Getting to Don Khon from Cambodian border

Posted by geedoc on 18/1/2020 at 07:49

Hi, I will be entering Laos overland via the Cambodia/Laos border. I don’t want to go as far as Nakasong if I don’t have to. Can I get to Don Khon without having to go that far north? Ideally, I want to get a boat shortly after entering Laos. I will have a bicycle. I’ll also have some US dollars in the hope to exchange (even if for a bad rate) at a hotel on Don Khon, again, saving me the cycle to Nakasong to use the ATM.

Has anyone experience or knowledge on getting to Don Khon this way?

Thanks in advance.

#1 geedoc has been a member since 28/10/2019. Posts: 1

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by antoniamitchell on 18/1/2020 at 12:00

Based on the information on Travelfish, it's quite difficult (logistically) and expensive to organise this trip by boat these days. It's much quicker and easier to go by road, so that's what most people do, hence the lack of passenger services up and down the mekong.

There's a few details on the Don Dhet transport page on Travelfish.

Sorry that I can't be of more help.

#2 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 566
 Send antoniamitchell a private message   Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.