Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Advice for first-time visitor to Laos

Posted by Birney on 24/1/2020 at 20:52

My original plan for my first visit to Laos in late March is three or four nights in Luang Prabang , then by bus to Vang Vieng where I'll stay two or three nights. Then to Vientiane for a night or two before leaving the country.

An alternative would be to go from Luang Prabang to Nong Kiaow and/or Muang Ngoi for a couple days then back to LP to catch a plane to Vientiane, thus skipping Vang Vieng.

Also I just read Luang Prabang in March is hot, dry and smoky.

Would love to hear any informed opinions about all of the above.

Thanks.

#1 Birney has been a member since 25/1/2020. Posts: 1

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by exacto on 28/1/2020 at 01:03

Birney,

Both options sound wonderful to me, so it just depends on what type of an experience you hope to have.

As I recall, the bus ride from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng was very crowded, along a mountain road with plenty of steep, twisty sections. But it was also quite memorable and interesting.

What would you do in Vang Vieng, and what would you do in Nong Kiaow and Muang Ngoi? Which place sounds like more fun or adventure?

Also, have you checked if flights are still available for the dates you would potentially fly from Luang Prabang to Vientiane and how much it would cost?

Let us know what you decide, and how it turns out. Regards.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,804
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by jorowa on 2/2/2020 at 09:36

Vang Vieng as you may know is quite touristy and popular although March is kind of the low season (and hot season). So, it would depend of you want to go to more or less developed place with Vang Vieng having more and better accommodation, many restaurants, and a higher number of other travellers.

Also, as mentioned above, the bus ride from LP to VV is through the mountains. The VV to Vientiane ride is about 3 hours and not too bad.

#3 jorowa has been a member since 24/2/2011. Location: United States. Posts: 15
 Send jorowa a private message   Where has jorowa been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.