Text page

Laos

Laos forum

Malany or Soutchai from Vientiane to Vang Vieng?

Posted by kja on 21/2/2020 at 07:07

I believe my public transportation options from Vientiane to Vang Vieng are a minivan by Malany or a minivan or bus (depending on demand) by Soutchai. Any recommendations or information about one or the other? Thanks!

#1 kja has been a member since 25/1/2020. Posts: 6

Posted by kja on 25/2/2020 at 06:30

Looks like I also have an option through Thavisouk bus, so please add that into the mix!

If it makes a difference, I will be arriving in Vientiane by air after a mere 34 or so hours of travel, so I don't expect to be thinking very clearly, and I will have only a few hours to clear all the hurdles at the airport upon my initial arrival in Laos before whichever bus or minivan I take is to leave the city. And it doesn't seem that I can just go from the airport to some specific bus station -- the options I've identified all leave from different locations -- and I haven't even been able to identify a single, specific location for the Malany bus.

I would appreciate any information any of you can provide.

Thanks again.

#2 kja has been a member since 25/1/2020. Posts: 6

Posted by telmi on 26/2/2020 at 05:51

These 3 companies usually pick up passengers at hotels.Seems like you won’t be staying overnight so you won’t have a place for them to pick you up. They also depart mostly in the mornings from bookings made the daybefore. I think you’ll be a lot better off just going to the Northern BusStation and getting a bus from there to VV. Almost every bus leaving from there goes north on Hwy 13 and passes thru VV so they could drop you off there even if they don’t list VV as a destination on their signs. The web page here - http://hobomaps.com/TravelVientiane.html- shows departures leaving often between 08:00 and 16:00. You shouldn’t have to wait more than an hour to catch a bus from Northern Bus Station and booking in advance isn’t usually done.

#3 telmi has been a member since 1/1/2013. Posts: 36

Posted by kja on 26/2/2020 at 06:00

Many thanks, telmi -- I appreciate the information!

#4 kja has been a member since 25/1/2020. Posts: 6

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.