Text page

Laos

Laos forum

From Thailand to Laos by bus.

Posted by GypsyGirl2 on 2/7/2022 at 14:41

Since the boats aren't running this year from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang it's time to check out the buses. There's not a lot of info available on line so this is an update of what's happening from Issan.

Buses are running from Udon Thank (not sure of the times) to Vientiane & Vang Vieng & from Nong Khai to Vientiane. Buses leave Nong Khai at 0730, 1000, 1530 & 1830. The bus company seemed very keen to see my visa. I had an eVisa which was viewed with a degree of suspicion but I was allowed on the bus. I am not sure what happens if you are planning a visa on arrival (which is still available at the border) & want to travel by bus.

The border wasn't busy & and both immigration services were quick & efficient. You need to show your Covid vaccine certificate to Lao immigration. Don't leave it on the bus (as I did).

Despite its economic woes Laos seems ready to welcome back tourists.

#1 GypsyGirl2 has been a member since 14/8/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by exacto on 4/7/2022 at 22:38

Thanks for the on-the-spot information, Gypsy. I'm glad to hear your crossing went so well. The most recent Travelfish newsletter included a link to news about the currency issue in Laos too.

Have a good trip! Cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,848

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.