Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Sapa to Luang Prabang

Posted by jackie66 on 5/2/2008 at 15:14

Posted from within Vietnam.

We are trekking in Sapa mid February and would then like to make our way overland into Laos via the Tay Trang border, which I hear is now open and you can obtain visas. We would then like to travel to Luang Prabang. I have heard that this is all very scenic and interesting,but rather difficult.
Is this route feasable? How regular are the buses? What suggestions do you have from the Lao border to Luang Prabang, bus or boat? How long would all this take?
Or would it be better just to get a flight from Hanoi to Luang Prabang? This would be a pity as we would have to return from Sapa to Hanoi.
Any suggestions?

#1 jackie66 has been a member since 2/1/2008. Posts: 7

Posted by Lam_merison on 6/2/2008 at 22:01

For normal route (Local Bus)
Sapa(Viet nam) - Dein Bien Phu (Viet nam) - Muang Mai(Border Town ,Laos) - Muang Khoua(Laos,at the Bank of Nam Ou) at Muang Khoua u can catch a local bus to Udonxai and then Lunagprabang or catch the Boat to Muang Ngoi and catch the bus again to Luangprabang
as I know
Dien Bien Phou to Laos border(Muang Mai)asphaltic road and Border(Muang Mai)to Muang Khoua (Dirt Road) and total spent time 7 hr.(there are 4 bus/week run from Muang khoua to Dien Bien Phou)
for my suggestion, catch the boat to Muang Ngoi and spent 2 day there before going down to Luangprabang by bus(u have to catch the boat down to Muang Ngoi new town first before catch the bus to Luangprabang)

Have a nice trip

#2 Lam_merison has been a member since 29/5/2007. Posts: 14

Posted by Lam_merison on 6/2/2008 at 22:03

or you can catch the Boat Down from Muang Ngoi to Luangprabang then

Have a nice trip again

#3 Lam_merison has been a member since 29/5/2007. Posts: 14

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.