Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Getting from Gibbon Experience to Luang Prabang as quickly as possible

Posted by tfrohner on 6/2/2008 at 23:54

I am planning on doing the Gibbon Experience however I am having troubles finding a way to Luang Prabang from there. I don't really want to go all the way back to Houayxay and arrive too late for the boat and have to spend another night there. I also know I could take a bus up towards Luang Nam Tha and then down to Luang Prabang but my travel companion and I would really like to take a boat at some point (doesn't matter which river but something scenic would obviously be prefered). Any suggestions for routes???? Find specific information online is so difficult. Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!

#1 tfrohner has been a member since 5/2/2008. Posts: 1

Posted by marianwarren on 7/2/2008 at 04:12

Hi tfrohner

I suggest looking at the Boatlanding Guesthouse site They are in Luang Namtha but give suggestions on boat trips to HouayXay and to Luang Prabang. So should work in reverse.

We caught the bus from the Gibbon, stayed at the BoatLanding Guesthouse (highly recommended - the food is fantastic) - then bus to LP.

Hope this helps

#2 marianwarren has been a member since 12/3/2006. Posts: 270

Posted by tylerjprewett on 12/4/2008 at 03:56

I imagine you may have already gone, but just in case not. The bus to luang nam tha picks you up around 2-3 pm on the highway at the convenience store very soon after finishing G.E. The owners of the store are very friendly also. (make sure that you take your big pack with you on the way to G.E. and leave it at the store, instead of the office in huayxai). The bus we took takes you all the way to Luang Prabang, but doesnt get there till 2AM, so you definetly want to make a reservation and make aware of your late arrival as LP shuts down pretty early. We didnt have a reservation so stopped at 8pm in oudomxai for the night (four-five hours away from LP). The slow boat can be fun, depending on what your into, the bus definetly gets you there a lot faster (from GE). As far as getting on the river, there are plenty of opportunities to hit the water throughout laos elsewhere. Even the trip to pak ou caves from LP is at least an hour one way and gives you a nice small slice of what can be seen on the mekong.

#3 tylerjprewett has been a member since 27/2/2008. Posts: 4

Posted by rmb on 6/8/2008 at 11:35

just want to make sure I'm reading this right. You can basically get back to LP the day after you finish the GE? What about heading the other way?

#4 rmb has been a member since 28/5/2008. Posts: 9

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.