Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Nam Ou river in April

Posted by erinzita on 3/4/2008 at 13:12

We'd like to travel down the Nam Ou by slow boat from either Phongsali or Muang Khua to Luang Prabang (stopping off at Muang Ngoi Neua and Nong Khiaw). The problem is I have heard that the river is often too low in April for boats to run. Does anyone know how likely it is for boats to be running at this time?

We don't want to get the bus all the way from Luang Nam Tha to Phongsali to find out that we can't get the boat and have to get the bus all the way back (and I get travel sick!). Is there any way of finding out without actually going there?

Many Thanks for any advice.

#1 erinzita has been a member since 31/5/2007. Posts: 5
 Send erinzita a private message 

Posted by wanderingcat on 4/4/2008 at 11:16

could try contacting a guesthouse in Nong Khiaw, people there should be able to check with the boatmen at the boat landing there.

contact details for Sunset GH (Nong Khiaw) here:

#2 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Send wanderingcat a private message   Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Posted by deuxbecs on 27/8/2009 at 00:57

You don't have to take a fast/slow boat! You can also experience the very slow boat, and row all the way down the Nam Ou from Phongsali to Luang Prabang! Here are a few lines about my adventure :

#3 deuxbecs has been a member since 27/8/2009. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.