Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

10 day trip in Laos

Posted by kierjan on 14/4/2008 at 23:26

Hi All New here but would really appreciate your help.
I'm hoping to be going to Laos in February/March of next year . Will be coimng in via Chiang Kong at the Huay Xia border crossing. From there we'll get the slowboat to Luang prabang, then head north to either Muang Ngoi or Nong Khiaow. After that we'll go back to Luang Prabang and then onto to Vang Viang.
We eventually hope to end up in Hanoi so what i'm wondering is after that should we go to vientianne and fly to hanoi. or travel overland to Lak Xao and cross at the border there, bearing in mind we'd have to travel all the way back up Hanoi.
Does anybody have any better suggestions?
Thnaks, Jan

#1 kierjan has been a member since 14/4/2008. Posts: 11

Posted by somtam2000 on 15/4/2008 at 05:30 admin

Welcome to Travelfish Jan,

It depends how much time you have. You can fly to Hanoi from either Vientiane or Luang Prabang, and the flight takes about an hour. To do it overland takes a minimum of 24 hours.

There's a few overland crossings open now, so you don't need to go south to Lak Xao if you don't want to. See the border crossings FAQ for more information on the crossings, and the sample itinerary section will give you some ideas on how long it takes to get around.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by kierjan on 15/4/2008 at 16:22

Thanks for that. Had checked out itenary section/ Its what gave me the idea of flying to Hanoi in the first place, it wasa one of the how to save time tips. That section is so useful. didn't realise you could fly from LP though. What would you recommend, going back to LP after VV or would it be worth going to see Vientianne if even just for a day.

#3 kierjan has been a member since 14/4/2008. Posts: 11

Posted by somtam2000 on 16/4/2008 at 11:10 admin

I'd say continue onto Vientiane -- it's a relaxed town, lots of riverfront and more than a few things to see.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by kierjan on 17/4/2008 at 04:00

Thanks! Might do that i think.

#5 kierjan has been a member since 14/4/2008. Posts: 11

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.