Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Lao Airlines?

Posted by michmich11 on 6/5/2008 at 08:42

Safe? Reliable? I've heard mixed things. Thanks!

#1 michmich11 has been a member since 14/4/2008. Posts: 19

Posted by somtam2000 on 6/5/2008 at 09:04 admin

Is Lao Airlines safe to fly? :-)

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,643
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Rufus on 6/5/2008 at 13:17

Not again! I'd be interested in what you have heard and what "experts" told you.
Yes its as safe as any airline now, and friendlier than quite a lot.

#3 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 974
 Send Rufus a private message 

Posted by exacto on 6/5/2008 at 21:13

I'd definitely read the "Is Lao Airlines Safe to Fly" feature article that Somtam suggests. It will help put all the info you've heard into perspective so that you can make a sound decision for yourself. There are still significant differences in quality of aircraft based on which routes you fly, but even there things have improved significantly since the airline partnered up with others to address those old concerns about safety. In short, I fly them, and most people I know who have flown with Lao Airlines would fly with them again too. Cheers.

#4 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,679
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by Rufus on 7/5/2008 at 09:11

That article is a little out of date. Laos airlines actually have not partnered up with anyone. They do share the same flight numbers with Vietnam airlines on some flights to that country.

What they have done is purchased and leased more aircraft from China and France. Their servicing is now done under the terms of an international contract.

#5 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 974
 Send Rufus a private message 

Posted by KPTham1 on 9/5/2008 at 00:06

I have flown with Lao Airlines thrice on the Vientiane /Luang Prabang sector in Dec 2006 and Dec 2007. In the interval of 1 year , I had noticed that in-flight safety standards has improved greatly. However, the ground service remained below international standard. And delays of up to 5 hours is not uncommon. I have been delayed twice for 4-5 hours on the Vientian/Luang Prabang Sector but I will fly Loas Airlines again.
Anyway, have you read of any incidence lately ?

#6 KPTham1 has been a member since 26/9/2006. Posts: 52

Posted by bailin on 18/5/2008 at 16:15

I have flown with Lao Airlines on the Vientiane/Luang Prabang, Vinetiane/Pakse/Cambodia and Vientiane/Saysomboune routes and not had any safety concerns. I can't recall a flight without a significant delay though (2 or 3 hours) so don't rely on their timetable. Will be fying with them again later this year.

#7 bailin has been a member since 18/5/2008. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.