Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos & the Greater Mekong

Posted by ade7 on 2/6/2008 at 00:24

Hi,
Has anyone tried the Lonely Planet guide "Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos & the Greater Mekong"? Is it any good?
Im not a huge fan of travel guides as a whole, but this may be worth taking if its any good. Obviously it wont be as detailed as the individual country guides, but Im thinking it may be of use as a general reference, since I am travelling all over the region (I dont want to have to carry an individual guide for each country). Any help much appreciated.
Cheers, Andy

#1 ade7 has been a member since 14/4/2008. Posts: 12

Posted by Rufus on 2/6/2008 at 15:26

I am really not a great fan of Lonely Planet guides at all. They are very opinionted and appear to print the same guff in every edition, even if it is hopelessly out of date.

#2 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Posted by exacto on 3/6/2008 at 21:21

Andy,

As Rufus says, the Lonely Planet guides are not what they used to be. Things change and it is difficult for any guide to be even 50% accurate over time. On most of our recent trips, we've taken to doing our research online with sites like Travelfish, along with individual websites for hotels and such at our planned destinations. We lay out a general outline that way and fill in the details with feedback from other travellers we meet on the road as we travel.

Having said that, a guide book like the one you mention can be useful for background and historical information, maps, opening and closing times of museums and other attractions, and general travel info like bus or train routes and timetables. Again, not necessarily 100% up to date but usually at least provides a frame of reference. Hope that helps. Cheers.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,651
 Where has exacto been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.