Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

From Luang Namtha to Phogsali

Posted by laosina on 19/7/2008 at 18:29

I would like to know which is the faster way to get Phongsali from Luang Namtha.
I would like to avoid to pass by Oudom Xai:

Luang Namtha --- Oudom Xai ( 4-5h Bus)
Oudom Xai---- Phongsali ( 8-12h Bus)

Thanks !

#1 laosina has been a member since 19/7/2008. Posts: 1

Posted by wanderingcat on 21/7/2008 at 10:59

only ways i know that bypass Udomxai:

(1) once, some guys rode a trail that branches off eastwards from the Luang Namtha-Udomxai road & ended up at Ban Boun Tai. took 2-3 days, they did it by bike, very very rough trip, not easy to find food, & they had to spend a night or two in villages they found along the way.

(2) take the Luang Namtha-Mengla bus into China, then at Mengla i think there is a Phongsaly bus. but, only for China & Lao citizens. & i was told that China citizens from certain provinces may not be allowed by their own government to cross at all.

i don't mind Udomxai, nice views from top of two hills, nearby Muang La is pretty, good place to stock up on kip before heading into Phongsaly, & can guarantee a seat for the long journey on the Phongsaly bus if get to the bus station early enough.

alternative to Udomxai-Phongsaly bus: take a bus to Muang Khua, then a boat to Hat Sa, then another bus (~2h) up to Phongsaly town.

#2 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Send wanderingcat a private message   Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.