Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Naga of Mekong boat trip - Huay Xai to LP

Posted by lauraandmark on 25/9/2008 at 15:41

Hi, not sure if this should be in the slow boat thread..apologies if so. Has anyone booked or done this trip?

Thanks
Mark

#1 lauraandmark has been a member since 4/9/2008. Posts: 21

Posted by woodyuk on 18/10/2008 at 20:20

I am also looking into doing this trip with Naga of Mekong but from LP to Huay Xai. having a real problem finding info on this trip but have heard great reports about it..
Any info would be appriciatd

#2 woodyuk has been a member since 14/1/2007. Posts: 25

Posted by woodyuk on 18/10/2008 at 20:31

Have found this info so far ...

1 Day Naga Cruise – Houeixay – Luang Prabang
Naga of Mekong Boat is a traditional converted wooden boat with a maximum capacity of 25 persons. The boat is 32 meters long and 2.8 meters at its widest. The leg room between the seats offers plenty of leg room and allows for people to move around. All seats are comfortable reclining seats and the boat is equipped with a clean modern toilet.

#3 woodyuk has been a member since 14/1/2007. Posts: 25

Posted by woodyuk on 19/10/2008 at 13:31

Found more info on Travelfish check out the link below

https://www.travelfish.org/feature/119

http://nagiofmekong.com/

#4 woodyuk has been a member since 14/1/2007. Posts: 25

Posted by lauraandmark on 20/10/2008 at 19:53

hi woodyuk

just a bit worried it's ascam - i've read good and bad stuff about it - i emailed the guy that runs it direct and he was really helpful etc - have you seen anyone that has done it commenting on it?

#5 lauraandmark has been a member since 4/9/2008. Posts: 21

Posted by lauraandmark on 20/10/2008 at 19:53

btw didnt mean scam as in they dont turn up just whether the boat really is any better and less crowded!?

#6 lauraandmark has been a member since 4/9/2008. Posts: 21

Posted by Yorick on 23/11/2008 at 16:12

Hello fellows

The Nagi cruise is at least 2 days, like any other cruise on this journey.
You can still charter a noisy , potentialy dangerous, "speed boat", to do the trip in one day but it is not the same at all.

I never took the Nagi, it seams nice. I can recommend though, the Luang Say cruise. Not cheap, but a very worthy treat to fully appreciate this trip. 2 days, nice food, and a stop at the very charming Luang Say lodge. their website is www.luangsay.com.

I don't mind also the cheaper usual slow boat, That you can book in any agency. I rather tell you it can be really packed in high season (Nov-Apr). The stop in Pakbeng can be rough. Last time I took it, ( I make this trip at tleast twice a year as a photographer based in Chiang Mai), it seams that there was more travellers than accomodations !

Luang Prabang is develloping big ways... but it is still a nice place to spend a few days...

#7 Yorick has been a member since 23/11/2008. Posts: 9

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.