Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Place to Rest Up

Posted by Karimster on 30/9/2008 at 19:00

Posted from within Vietnam.

Moto accident means that my original plans for Laos are probably not a goer - not keen on trecking and staying in places of questionable hygiene while I'm scabby. Unfortunately this has necessitated a reassessment of my budget for Laos, but y'all might be able to help out by advising on:

I was keen to visit some of south Laos, going from Pakse to the Islands via Champasak. My original plan saw this as a rushed 2/3 nights using local transport. I can still to Wat Champasak as a day trip from Pakse, but is there any 'VIP' quality transport heading south to the Islands where I might want to spend a couple of nights?

I might just have to find somewhere in Laos and chill-out for a week, or at least use it as a base for dreaded day trips to surrounding sights. I assume Luang Prabang is the best spot for this?

So my Laos itinerary would be: fly into Pakse, day trip to Wat Champasak, couple of days on the islands, fly to Vientiane for a couple of days, then (fly to and) spend around a week in LP visiting.

If I feel a bit better I might be a bit more active, but I still wouldn't want to do any trecking or anything which puts my in water for any extended period, and I'm afraid I'll need to stay in really spotless accomodation. Is there anywhere else in Laos I could go for this sort of 'lazy flashpacker' style trip, or would Northern Thailand with its temples and boutique hotels be a bit more fitting.

Sorry, a bit of an essay, I'd welcome any thoughts, however tangental.

#1 Karimster has been a member since 11/9/2008. Posts: 15

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/10/2008 at 05:11 admin

VIP transport down to the islands -- not really. Best option would be the songthaew I'd guess.

I've heard about some better accommodation on Don Deng (the island opposite Champasak) that could suit your needs, while on the islands themselves, I'd go for one of the Sala properties.

In Luang Prabang you'll have no problems with upmarket accommodation (with corresponding price-tags), but there's also plenty of flashpacker options -- see the LP section for loads of recommendations...

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.