Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Laos homestay?

Posted by mattocmd on 14/10/2008 at 21:36

Hello,

I read somewhere about staying with families in Laos for $2 a night or so.

My girlfriend and I will be in Laos in Feb. and I think this would be an excellent way to spend some of our time. I would love such a cultural experience.

So how do you do it? Just show up at some houses? Learn enough Lao to ask the locals?

If anyone has done this please let me know... Thanks!

#1 mattocmd has been a member since 13/6/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 365
 Send mattocmd a private message 

Posted by somtam2000 on 15/10/2008 at 08:15 admin

A good place to try and arrange homestays is Muang Sing in northern Laos. It's normally organised through a guesthouse in town beforehand.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,707
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by somsai on 15/10/2008 at 20:00

Two dollars sounds extremely low also. Maybe for a place on the floor, but not food. Some good guesthouses cost $3. Meat usually costs close to $2 a pound. Every home stay needs to be registered with the authorities.

#3 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 568
 Send somsai a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.