I am interested in going to Laos for one week. I was thinking of editing the 2 week agenda to fit my schedule. The suggestions were:
1) Vientiane -> Vang Vieng (stunning scenery, backpacker scene)
2) Vang Vieng -> Phonsavan (Plain of Jars)
3) Phonsavan -> Luang Prabang (stunning scenery, temples, riverside town)
4)Luang Prabang -> Muang Ngoi (small town, riverside setting, backpacker scene)
5) Muang Ngoi -> Udomxai (temple, waterfalls)
6) Udomxai -> Luang Nam Tha (trekking, eco-tourism)
7) Luang Nam Tha -> Muang Sing (trekking, backpacker scene)
8) Muang Sing -> Xieng Kok (small village, riverside setting)
9) Xieng Kok -> Huay Xai (Riverside town)
Which do you think I can leave out? What do you think is realistic for a 1 week vacation? And how do you suggest booking tickets and getting around in Laos?
#1 Lyoungie has been a member since 13/11/2008. Posts: 7
I found this itinerary for 2 weeks. It sounded pretty good, but I can't fit it all in. I was hoping to get suggestions on what I should DEFINITELY do and what I can leave out. Thanks for all your help! :)
#3 Lyoungie has been a member since 13/11/2008. Posts: 7
I agree with Rufus - stick to a couple of places and explore in and around them, LP and Vientiane are probably the easiest for this ... or just go to LP and see the places around there - i can think of at least 4/5 days worth of things in LP alone that I would like to do - don't rush it as you won't enjoy it as much
Seriously, forget everything except Vientiane and LP. Travel in Laos is very slow and there is no way you can even do half of what was suggested in one week. 4 days in LP and 3 in Vientiane , or 3,2 and 2 days to visit the Konglor caves and that is about all you will be able to do.
I am also looking to spend a week in Laos over Christmas. Where are the best places to go if you just want to relax and see beautiful waterfalls, rivers etc?
#7 charliekbrooks has been a member since 22/9/2008. Posts: 8
Greg08 - I didn't get there, but heard lots of good reports of Nam Ou, which I think is the same direction of Muang Ngoi.
#9 rossville69 has been a member since 8/11/2007. Posts: 15