Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Malaria/Dengue Fever?

Posted by ChrisM48 on 11/1/2009 at 10:45

Travelling through Laos in July this year over 2 weeks. Vientiane, to Vang Vieng, Luang Prabang up Mekong to Huay Xai and then into Thailand.
Is there a threat of malaria/dengue fever at this time of year? Will be taking DEET based repellant. Is there a need for malaria tablets?

#1 ChrisM48 has been a member since 12/12/2006. Posts: 17

Posted by Rufus on 11/1/2009 at 16:09

There is not much you can do to prevent dengue fever apart from cover up and use deet. Prophylactics don't work.
Regarding malaria: I don't know of any expat who takes prophylactics. Most of us are worried about the side effects.

#2 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 976
 Send Rufus a private message 

Posted by austral31 on 9/2/2009 at 16:51

I asked a Lao National who works at the University in Vientiane what she does during the wet season to prevent Malaria. She said sleep under mosquito nets and use repellant but did not take any sort of tablet. You will have to do both of these anyway to avoid Dengue so that should keep you safe from Malaria.

I know in Australia and I assume around the world, you can buy mosquito nets that are pre-treated with an insecticide (non-toxic) that is meant to kill the mosquitoes on contact. The insecticide lasts for 12 months from the date of treatment and the net costs about AUD $60 for a single. There are also pants and I assume shirts available that have natural extracts that are meant to repel the mozzies. Light colours are also meant to be better

#3 austral31 has been a member since 10/1/2009. Posts: 20

Posted by Rufus on 9/2/2009 at 17:46

Does the fact that she goes to Dongdok mean that she has inside knowlege about mosquitoes?
Anyway I would be interested to know about these mosquito nets you are talking about.

#4 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 976

Posted by austral31 on 10/2/2009 at 08:44

Hi Rufus,

Check out the following website. My one is similar to this from a different company.

http://www.paddypallin.com.au/default.aspx?page=78&product=890&Group=413

another small advantage of them is that with the hanging point located where it is, one only needs 1 strategically placed nail or other as opposed to four. My one comes with a fold-up pole that you place in the top to keep the net spread out.

Cheers

#5 austral31 has been a member since 10/1/2009. Posts: 20

Posted by Rufus on 11/2/2009 at 15:10

Thanks for that Austral31.

#6 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 976

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.