Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Luang Prabang, back to Thailand

Posted by SybilVane on 4/4/2009 at 15:51

Hello,
I'm working on my itinerary for my trip in September and the forum threads are proving incredibly useful.

A lot has been said about the trip from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang . I still haven't decided, but I'll get there eventually.

Now the big question is, how do I get back? I don't have a lot of time to spend in Laos, and after Luang Prabang, I need to return to Thailand as quickly as possible, and it seems that a flight to Bangkok would be the best option.

At this point, the only destinations I would still need to visit are Cambodia and the south of Thailand. So the best game plan would be a flight back to Bangkok, then to Cambodia and back by land, then again from Bangkok to the islands in the South?

I hope that's not terribly confusing. What I'm basically asking is for the fastest way to make it from Luang Prabang to the very South of Thailand, considering that I need to stop in Cambodia (Siem Reap, Angkor, Phnom Penh).

Thanks in advance and I hope that did't give you a headache!

#1 SybilVane has been a member since 4/4/2009. Location: Argentina. Posts: 10

Posted by SybilVane on 4/4/2009 at 16:46

I feel ridiculous replying to my own post, BUT...

I found there is a direct flight from Luang Prabang to Siem Reap.

So that would be better, right? From Luang Prabang to Siem Reap, see the area and then head to the South of Thailand by land (or by plane to Phuket if I can scrimp and save?)

#2 SybilVane has been a member since 4/4/2009. Location: Argentina. Posts: 10

Posted by DLuek on 4/4/2009 at 21:06 TF writer

Sounds like you're on top of it and really don't need much advice! If you need to save time, fly from LP to Siem Reap like you say. You can always look into plane tix from Phnomh Penh to BKK, then a flight (maybe Air Asia?) to Phuket from BKK. Getting from Phnomh Penh to BKK over land takes two to three days, and the trip from BKK to Phuket over land is another day. Don't know what your budget is like, but I would look into the cheap airlines - Air Asia, Jetstar, Tiger, Pacific - and see what they offer.

Good luck!

#3 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,173
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by SybilVane on 5/4/2009 at 07:06

Thank you, DLuek! :)

#4 SybilVane has been a member since 4/4/2009. Location: Argentina. Posts: 10

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.