Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Itinerary Question - How many days to spend in LP?

Posted by wheelse on 7/4/2009 at 10:22

I'm planning a grand solo journey through SE Asia end of June and all of July and am starting in HCM through Cambodia and then to Bangkok. I want to end my trip at the beaches in Thailand, but before heading down there I was thinking of trying to fit in Laos.

I would plan to fly to LP from Bangkok (mid-July), then back to BKK down to Krabi. How many days do you recommend for LP and surrounding areas? I was planning to skip Vientaine (rainy season, i imagine this would take a LONG time), and just foucs on LP. Is 5 days sufficient? I could then spend 10+ days in the islands in Thailand, but don't want to regret having spent too little time in relatively unspoiled Laos...

#1 wheelse has been a member since 6/4/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 7/4/2009 at 16:34 admin

Five days would be enough for Luang Prabang -- but if you could stretch it to say 8-10 days I'd fit in Muang Ngoi or Nong Kiaow too -- make all the flying worth it!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,644
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Archmichael on 17/5/2009 at 10:45

wheelse..........I agree with Somtam's recommendations! Luang Prabang is beautiful, and the Lao people are delightful.

#3 Archmichael has been a member since 23/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 396
 Send Archmichael a private message 

Posted by Rufus on 23/5/2009 at 12:36

5 days is 2 days too long in Luang Prabang. I would spend two days in Vientiane and 3 in LP. I assume you realise it is the rainy season in the whole of Laos and not just Vientiane, by the way? LP has the rainy season as well.

#4 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 974
 Send Rufus a private message 

Posted by smkuchta on 23/5/2009 at 12:54

Rainy Season? I wish! It's been blistering hot the last few weeks in Laos with very little rain for us and that is coming from 4000 Islands to LP.

Technically it might be the rainy season in actuality it is the hot season at the moment.

As for how much time to spend in LP it depends on what you like to do. There are plenty of treks, kayaking trips, etc to keep one occupied. We did the Elephant Park Project 1 day Mahout course yesterday and it was awesome!

You could spend a couple of days and be happy with what you saw or spend a week and not regret it.

#5 smkuchta has been a member since 10/8/2007. Posts: 72

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.