Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Inoculations?

Posted by paulchangman on 19/6/2009 at 13:53

Hi,

What inoculations should I be getting before I go to Laos? Are anti Malarial drugs necessary?

Thanks!

#1 paulchangman has been a member since 17/6/2009. Posts: 9

Posted by BruceMoon on 20/6/2009 at 12:58

Paul

Go consult your doctor on innoculations.

If you type in malaria in the Search Travelfish box in the upper left of the page, you'll get heaps of references.

INMO, malaria isn't much of a risk. I take a packet of Malarone with me in case...

If I was to get Malarial symptoms, I'd start the tabs & go to a good hospital pronto.

Cheers

#2 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by Rufus on 20/6/2009 at 15:38

Hep A &B, typhoid, and tetanus. You don't need malaria prophylactics unless you are going treking in the jungle.

#3 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 976
 Send Rufus a private message 

Posted by BruceMoon on 21/6/2009 at 10:13

Rufus

May I suggest the comment should be You don't need malaria prophylactics FULL STOP.

I've been in various parts of SE Asia in the wet - jungles, hiking in forests, wetlands - and relying on a chemical rather than good common sense (to wear long sleeved clothes, mossie spray, etc) is IMHO irresponsible.

The whole point is not only about unnecessarily putting chemicals into the body, it is also minimising the development of drug resistance in mosquito's. How many drugs are now useless because the vector has become immune.

Cheers

#4 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by Rufus on 21/6/2009 at 15:57

Fair comment bruce. i agree with what you say, but some people get a bit precious about it.

#5 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 976
 Send Rufus a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.