Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

itinerary - please help

Posted by smash on 21/6/2009 at 11:49

Hi all

I'm getting more and more confused with my planned itinerary for Laos. i think something has to give somewhere and I'm not sure what... don't mind taking some flights here and there to speed things up a tad.

Day 1 - get from Siem Reap to Don Det
Day 2 - Don Det
Day 3 - Don Det
Day 4 - get from Don Det to Vientiane
Day 5 - Vientiane
Day 6 - Vang Vieng
Day 7 - Vang Vieng
Day 8 - Luang Prabang
Day 9 - Luang Prabang
Day 10 - Luang Prabang
Day 11 - overnight boat to Huay Xai
Day 12 - Huay Xai
Day 13 - Gibbon Experience
Day 14 - Gibbon Experience
Day 15 - get from Huay Xai to Koh Samui if possible (can possibly add a night in Laos here and arrive Koh Samui morning on day 16)

if anyone has some ideas or suggestions please that'd be fantastic...

thanks in advance

#1 smash has been a member since 21/6/2009. Posts: 162

Posted by BruceMoon on 22/6/2009 at 10:32

smash

Far too much.

Fly Siem Reap to Vientiane.

Fly to Luang Nam Tha. Look on Travel fish for ideas (heaps to do).

Nam Tha to Huay Xai for Gibbon experience back to Huay Xai for ...

Boat to Luang Prabang .

Enjoy Luang Prabang.

Fly Luang Prabang to BKK, then to Koh Samui (I don't think there is a direct flight).

Reason, coz you've got so much time hooked into bus travel, and hardly any time for doing anything else.

Cheers

#2 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by somtam2000 on 22/6/2009 at 12:07 admin

Ahh just realised you broke the trip up into separate posts! Makes sense.

As per Brucemoon, this is very cramped. Agree cutting out southern Laos will be the easiest way to give yourself a bit more time to cram in the rest.

If Ko Samui is intended as your "beach hit at end of holiday" thing, then I'd cut all your beach time in Vietnam and Cambodia as the beaches are better on Samui and that will better allow you to see some of the rest of what you want to see.

Really though, no matter how you cook it, trying to see all three countries in six weeks means you will need to fly a lot of legs, or be prepared to spend about half the holiday in a bus/train. Look into Bangkok Airway's Discovery Airpass -- especially as you're planning a leg to Samui that may be a big help.

Good luck!

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by smash on 22/6/2009 at 12:18

Thanks BruceMoon & somtam2000. Really appreciate your feedback on this. I think we will skip Don Det and fly Siem Reap to Vietiane - Don Det doesn't sound that exciting anyway! That automatically gives three nights freed up which we can use. One thing the other half has his heart set on is Vang Veing. Where could we slot this into BruceMoon's suggestion?
(have replied to Vientnam and Cambodia too)

#4 smash has been a member since 21/6/2009. Posts: 162

Posted by smash on 22/6/2009 at 12:32

Also, will be doing this trip over April/May. Working things out now as have had to lock in some flights and a China tour which I won. we'll arrive Hanoi April 10 and then need to depart Laos (sounding like Luang Prabang) for Ko Pang Nga no later than about May 26/27.

Thanks!

#5 smash has been a member since 21/6/2009. Posts: 162

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.