Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Airtravel in Laos

Posted by travelgirl on 21/6/2009 at 13:08

Hi guys

I am going to be flying from Laos into Siam reap and am a little nervous about flying as after googeling airtravel in Laos I have heard a mixture of good and bad stories.

Anyone flown in Laos? Were you comfortable? Feel safe?

#1 travelgirl has been a member since 21/6/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by Rufus on 21/6/2009 at 15:58

Flown Air Laos? Somewhat over 30 times now and I am still here to tell the tale. I wonder how old the bad stories are that you have heard.

#2 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Posted by travelgirl on 21/6/2009 at 16:09

Thanks Rufus

That does make me feel better.

The stories are old and it does seem safe enough I guess.

#3 travelgirl has been a member since 21/6/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by somsai on 21/6/2009 at 20:40

There's a Travelfish feature story that I thought informative. Takes a realistic view of flying. Statistics are better than anecdote when considering the safety of flying. Once out of a thousand or a hundred thousand would be too high a rate for me. Thirty flights without mishap is a statistical non event.

I used to drive very fast while very drunk, never had an accident, safe?

https://www.travelfish.org/feature/50

A Cessna out of Sam Nua went down ealier this year, engine trouble as I remember, no injuries.

#4 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 568

Posted by somsai on 21/6/2009 at 20:51

In re reading my reply I realize it might sound like I'm down on flying. I'm not. I'd believe it to be safe, and internationaly very safe.

From a safety viewpoint I'm sure it stacks up well against other forms of transportation, just saying that "I flew them and survived" tells us nothing.

#5 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 568

Posted by wanderingcat on 21/6/2009 at 23:33

There are two airlines in Laos:
1. Lao Airlines that does both domestic & international flights to BKK, Chiangmai, etc: http://laoairlines.com/
2. Lao Air that does only domestic flights linking Vientiane to Sam Neua, Sayabouly, & Phongsaly (i.e. destinations not served by Lao Airlines), & chartered flights: http://www.lao-air.com

It's Lao Air that still uses Cessnas & helicopters, & is probably the recent case that somsai was referring to (emergency landing in a ricefield near VTE?). The similarity between the names probably means that incidents involving either could end up tarring the reputation of the other? Even more confusing is that some people refer to either as 'Lao Aviation'.

AFAIK some international NGOs currently allow their staff to fly Lao Airlines, but not Lao Air. E.g. CARE Intl staff based in Sayabouly returning to the capital have to journey by land to LPB & fly from LPB to VTE by Lao Airlines, instead of doing the Sayabouly-VTE direct route by Lao Air.

#6 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Posted by Rufus on 22/6/2009 at 07:39

Cat, the two airlines are the same. Helicopters are now used by LXML staff to fly to Sepon. They used single engined cessnas before. I have flown to work on these many times with no problems.

#7 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Posted by Rufus on 22/6/2009 at 07:43

What I should have clarified, Cat was that Lao Air is a subsidiary of Lao Airlines.

#8 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Posted by MADMAC on 22/6/2009 at 14:50

Hopefully the aircraft are maintained better than the rest of the country is...

#9 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by exacto on 22/6/2009 at 20:46

perhaps now would be the right time to give this a rest MADMAC. you've made your point that you aren't a fan of Laos. point taken. but just because you are willing to shout your opinion the loudest doesn't make it the best. plus, it's getting tedious to see your anti-Laos comments on every Laos-related thread. even though you aren't Laos' biggest booster, others, including me, really enjoy the country. there is no reason to keep peeing in everyone else's cornflakes. cheers.

#10 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,657
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 22/6/2009 at 22:32

I got to go back next month too...

#11 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by wanderingcat on 22/6/2009 at 23:58

Rufus: i see, learnt something new :)

#12 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Posted by gracetandil on 8/7/2009 at 22:33

First of all sorry because I canĀ“t read the first posts because the popups are on them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My question is: are there any flights from Laos to Cambodia? Vientiane/Ponh Penh? or from Luang Prabang?
This is very important for me, because in order to save some time I would fly from Laos to Cambodia instead of the land crossings.
Thank you.
Graciela.

#13 gracetandil has been a member since 4/12/2008. Posts: 56

Posted by Rufus on 9/7/2009 at 07:13

Yes there are. Cambodian and Laos Airlines codeshare.

#14 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Posted by mamatwiga on 9/7/2009 at 08:05

How much do flights run from Vientiane to Siem Reap? The prices I'm seeing online seem really steep.

Thanks in advance!

#15 mamatwiga has been a member since 9/7/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by BruceMoon on 9/7/2009 at 09:30

mamatwiga

There are no real low cost carriers linking Laos and Cambodia.

Laos Air do the service, but it's almost impossible to use their website.

Cambodian Airlines offer a flight, go to:

http://www.canbypublications.com/cambodia/airlines.htm#To%20Siem%20Reap%20Intl

In both cases, I suggest you are going to have to use a travel agent.

You may like to check out:

http://uk.bestfares.amadeus.net

Cheers

#16 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.