Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Luang Prabang Weather in August

Posted by kgordon on 3/7/2009 at 11:23

Hey guys,
I'm planning a SE Asia trip and am looking to be in LP the first two weeks of August. I have read the weather section and am prepared to deal with a few hours of rain in the afternoon and limited road travel, but I also know that August is the worst month so I wanted to get some first hand accounts of what to expect and to figure out if I'm better off not going.
Ideally I'd like to take in the city, hit the nearby waterfalls and caves, do some rock climbing, and maybe do a night or two in Nong Kiaow or another nearby village. Is this possible or will it be a total wash?
And can I travel by road to Vientiane or are the roads a bad idea at that point?
Thanks so much I'm trying to figure this out soon.

#1 kgordon has been a member since 3/7/2009. Posts: 1

Posted by BruceMoon on 3/7/2009 at 13:50

Weather can be fickle. August is the wettest month, but in the tropics, the warmth means that the rain (even all day) isn't something that makes life miserable (as in say England!). If you can still enjoy what you want to do in the rain, then make plans.

The rivers WILL be up. You'll possibly be able to boat it to Nong Khiaw (and maybe further on). But, if the river is too high, there is a bus service via OudomXai.

As for Vientiane by road, if it's closed, you'll just have to fly.

In relation to weather, you say you've read:

But this is general. Today, the whole area is covered with light cloud. Last week, the whole area was without cloud. Go see at:

If you 'right click' on the small picture to the left side to open in a new tab/window, you'll see just how dense the cloud really is. LP is shown in the centre.

Why don't you keep an eye on this map for a few days and choose for yourself?

In a weeks' time, it may all be sunny or drenching rain - that's weather.

Hope this (sort of) helps.

#2 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.