Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

North or South?

Posted by jyates on 15/7/2009 at 17:45

Myself and a few friends are going to have a short holiday (2.5 weeks) in Thailand and Laos. We're going to fly into Bangkok and explore there a little, then go to Laos for about 10-12 days. I've travelled in Thailand and Laos before but noone else in the group has been to a developing country so I don't want to give them too much of a culture shock. As we don't have too much time in Laos, I'm trying to work out whether we should go to Vientiane, Vang Vieng, Luang Prabang, or go down south for Si Phan Don, Pakse, Bolaven Plateau etc. What are your preferences? We are planning to go in August, so advice on how easy it is to travel in these areas in the rainy season would also be helpful.
Thanks in advance!

#1 jyates has been a member since 2/12/2008. Posts: 7

Posted by BruceMoon on 15/7/2009 at 19:05

I prefer the north for reasons unrelated to your request.

Personally, it matters little whether you choose north or south. The only proviso is that you take your time, enjoy what you do, and do as little travel as possible.

In Laos travel is slow. The whole country is laidback. So, minimise travel and get into the groove of enjoying the laidback lifestyle.

#2 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by jyates on 15/7/2009 at 19:21

Cheers Bruce! Exactly my thinking - I was in Malaysia and South West Thailand earlier this year and tried to do way too much. Was knackered when I got home! Will be taking it as easy as possible.

#3 jyates has been a member since 2/12/2008. Posts: 7

Posted by MADMAC on 16/7/2009 at 22:39

Well, you want to party, go to VV. You want to check out temples and shit - go to Vientiane and Luang Prabang. You want to enjoy sloooow, basically do little to nothing, clear your head, maybe go swimming... Savankhet / Paxse (friend of mine knows a great little waterfall with clear, clean water near Paxse). What you want to do pretty much drives the train here.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.