Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Boat from Pakse to Champasak

Posted by dclayw on 17/7/2009 at 08:24

I know there is some info on this in the travel section under Pakse but does anyone have any current info on this boat trip. Is the regular service still running, when does it leave Pakse, does it run every day (plan on being there on 23/12), cost of the trip etc. If there is a boat operating we would rather get to Champasak that way then by road.

Planning on spending 3 nights in Champasak just taking it easy, one day cycling to Wat Phu and another cycling around Don Daeng. Then we will be moving onto Don Khon for a few days. Is it relatively easy to organise transport from Champasak to Don Khong?

#1 dclayw has been a member since 20/10/2008. Posts: 22

Posted by dclayw on 17/7/2009 at 08:25

I meant Don Khon, NOT Don Khong.

#2 dclayw has been a member since 20/10/2008. Posts: 22

Posted by Tilapia on 31/7/2009 at 19:01

Was there around Christmastime and there is no daily public boat service between the two places. It is possible to hire a boat to take you in either direction, but this is usually contingent on whether or not there is a passenger or two to bring back for the return trip. Otherwise, it's not worth it for the driver. Also, the boats doing these kinds of trips tend to be longtail boats in questionable condition, which just adds to the adventure. Cost depends on how many people, but I think it's fair to say that around 10 U$ will take you in either direction.

Champasak to Don Khong is easy.

#3 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,499
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by CunningMcFar on 1/8/2009 at 00:46

We were there in Nov last year and arranged boat trip from Pakse to Champasak at the Green Discovery office in town. Not sure about schedule, but it was posted on their chalkboard. Price was not too bad, $10 if I recall, and a very pleasant ride. Maybe shoot Green Discovery an email to ask about regular boat service, or just stop in when you arrive in Pakse
info@greendiscoverylaos.com

#4 CunningMcFar has been a member since 20/8/2004. Posts: 163
 Where has CunningMcFar been? 

Posted by dclayw on 7/8/2009 at 14:10

Thanks. I contacted Green Discovery and this was their reply:

"There are public and private boats to get there with in 2 and a half hrs. The public boat is leaving 08:30 in the morning only! But the private one is in anytime.

Cost:
Public is 80.000 kip/person around 10 US Dollars included our service charge

Private is 400.000 kip/boat around 50 US Dollars included our service charge"

#5 dclayw has been a member since 20/10/2008. Posts: 22

Posted by Tilapia on 8/8/2009 at 01:42

Good to hear that the public boat is going again. Maybe they got it going again due to demand?

I spent about 5 days in Champasak and didn't see one single boat go by, ever. So, it definitely wasn't running at Christmastime.

"Our service charge" is the same as the "overtime" that gets paid at the border.

#6 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,499
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by rbakels on 9/1/2013 at 20:54

Yesterday I was told at Sabaidy 2 Guesthouse in Pa(x)kse that they run boats to Champasak 60.000 kip one way 110.000 kip return.

#7 rbakels has been a member since 17/11/2010. Posts: 16

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.