Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Our Laos Trip

Posted by hotdiggeydog on 29/10/2009 at 10:24

Hi all

The 3 of us are off to Laos on 24th Feb 2010. The 3 of us are me (the bloke), Pregnant wife (5 Months at that stage-got it wrong last post, just glad I can remember her birthday :-) and our 3 yr old girl.
After some great input from you guys and reading alot on the forums and various blogs I have decided to put this itinerary out there to see what people think. So here it goes:

1 - Gold Coast to KL (Air Asia. We managed to get return flights for A$369 ) Yippee
2 - KL - Vientiane . Then straight from the airport to Rivertime Resort.
3 - Rivertime Resort
4 - Rivertime Resort to Vang Vieng via Vientiane by minibus.VV overnight
5 - VV - Straying at the Thavonsouk
6 - VV - Early morning tubing, bikes and chillin out time
7 - VV to LP Minibus. Staying At Le Bel Air Boutique Resort
8 - LP. Seeing the waterfalls, crusin town and drinkin plenty of the amber fluid.
9 - LP. See what the day brings ( Maybe the one day elephant trek)
10 - LP. Moving to Xien Mouark Bellevue Resort.
11 - Chilling and playing with our daughter in the pool & more beer lao
12 - LP - Nong Kiau by Minibus. Staying at the Nong Kiau Riverside guesthouse.
13 - Nong Kiau
14 - Nong Kiau - Muang Ngoi by boat. Staying at (Don't know yet, Any suggestions?)
15 - Muang Ngoi back to LP
16 - Fly LP to Vientiane. Staying at Hôtel Khamvongsa
17 - Arvo flight to KL
18 - KL. Staying at the 5 Elements Hotel ( Wife shopping therapy!!!!)
19 - Evening flight back to the land of oz
20- BACK TO WORK!

Thanks for looking over this and please any suggestions are very welcome. I thought that the minibus was the way to go,I can't see the fam wanting to be stuck on a boat for 7 hours(Nong Ngoi to LP)
Cheers
Hotdiggeydog

#1 hotdiggeydog has been a member since 19/10/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by Captain_Bob on 29/10/2009 at 14:19

You're taking your 5-mo pregnant wife and 3 yo daughter for crazed tubing and beer-swilling holidays. Hoorah! Nice parenting dude.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,903

Posted by hotdiggeydog on 29/10/2009 at 15:18

Oh Captain

Don't read too much into the post. I will be doing this by myself..got to get a day off sometime. All I wanted to see was if people that know laos think that this plan is good or to spend time elsewhere and if the accom is good for my family
Cheers
HDD

#3 hotdiggeydog has been a member since 19/10/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by MADMAC on 29/10/2009 at 17:32

Actually there are some other posts here of kids tubing and having a great time. I'll let you know after I check the place out.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by somtam2000 on 30/10/2009 at 08:58 admin

Looks good -- my only suggestion would be to perhaps skip Muang Ngoi and spend longer in Nong Kiaou -- the former is getting quite a few sketchy reports of late (mainly theft related).

#5 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by christay2009 on 30/10/2009 at 17:20

You can always stay in a guesthouse that is
out of the centre of town. Hopefully before all the
drunken Valium taking fools come out your lil one will be in bed
anyway

I reccomend the kayaking over tubing, you could all be
in the same kayak, you get a guide and
go down the same river

ning kieow is way better than ngoi

#6 christay2009 has been a member since 8/2/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 414

Posted by MADMAC on 30/10/2009 at 23:29

Christy
I don't know, Kayaks need a steady hand and good balance. I suspect they'd be harder to competently operate when you're drunk.

#7 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by naim on 9/11/2009 at 20:06

Hi hotdiggeydog,

Pls see my Laos pictorials for some tips:
http://m.naim.my/pictorials-of-laos-trip-oct-2009

Thanks!

#8 naim has been a member since 19/10/2009. Posts: 4
 Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.