Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Our Laos Trip

Posted by hotdiggeydog on 29/10/2009 at 10:24

Hi all

The 3 of us are off to Laos on 24th Feb 2010. The 3 of us are me (the bloke), Pregnant wife (5 Months at that stage-got it wrong last post, just glad I can remember her birthday :-) and our 3 yr old girl.
After some great input from you guys and reading alot on the forums and various blogs I have decided to put this itinerary out there to see what people think. So here it goes:

1 - Gold Coast to KL (Air Asia. We managed to get return flights for A$369 ) Yippee
2 - KL - Vientiane . Then straight from the airport to Rivertime Resort.
3 - Rivertime Resort
4 - Rivertime Resort to Vang Vieng via Vientiane by minibus.VV overnight
5 - VV - Straying at the Thavonsouk
6 - VV - Early morning tubing, bikes and chillin out time
7 - VV to LP Minibus. Staying At Le Bel Air Boutique Resort
8 - LP. Seeing the waterfalls, crusin town and drinkin plenty of the amber fluid.
9 - LP. See what the day brings ( Maybe the one day elephant trek)
10 - LP. Moving to Xien Mouark Bellevue Resort.
11 - Chilling and playing with our daughter in the pool & more beer lao
12 - LP - Nong Kiau by Minibus. Staying at the Nong Kiau Riverside guesthouse.
13 - Nong Kiau
14 - Nong Kiau - Muang Ngoi by boat. Staying at (Don't know yet, Any suggestions?)
15 - Muang Ngoi back to LP
16 - Fly LP to Vientiane. Staying at Hôtel Khamvongsa
17 - Arvo flight to KL
18 - KL. Staying at the 5 Elements Hotel ( Wife shopping therapy!!!!)
19 - Evening flight back to the land of oz

Thanks for looking over this and please any suggestions are very welcome. I thought that the minibus was the way to go,I can't see the fam wanting to be stuck on a boat for 7 hours(Nong Ngoi to LP)

#1 hotdiggeydog has been a member since 19/10/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by Captain_Bob on 29/10/2009 at 14:19

You're taking your 5-mo pregnant wife and 3 yo daughter for crazed tubing and beer-swilling holidays. Hoorah! Nice parenting dude.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,911

Posted by hotdiggeydog on 29/10/2009 at 15:18

Oh Captain

Don't read too much into the post. I will be doing this by to get a day off sometime. All I wanted to see was if people that know laos think that this plan is good or to spend time elsewhere and if the accom is good for my family

#3 hotdiggeydog has been a member since 19/10/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by MADMAC on 29/10/2009 at 17:32

Actually there are some other posts here of kids tubing and having a great time. I'll let you know after I check the place out.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by somtam2000 on 30/10/2009 at 08:58 admin

Looks good -- my only suggestion would be to perhaps skip Muang Ngoi and spend longer in Nong Kiaou -- the former is getting quite a few sketchy reports of late (mainly theft related).

#5 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,652
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by christay2009 on 30/10/2009 at 17:20

You can always stay in a guesthouse that is
out of the centre of town. Hopefully before all the
drunken Valium taking fools come out your lil one will be in bed

I reccomend the kayaking over tubing, you could all be
in the same kayak, you get a guide and
go down the same river

ning kieow is way better than ngoi

#6 christay2009 has been a member since 8/2/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 414
 Send christay2009 a private message 

Posted by MADMAC on 30/10/2009 at 23:29

I don't know, Kayaks need a steady hand and good balance. I suspect they'd be harder to competently operate when you're drunk.

#7 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by naim on 9/11/2009 at 20:06

Hi hotdiggeydog,

Pls see my Laos pictorials for some tips:

#8 naim has been a member since 19/10/2009. Posts: 4
 Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.