Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Elephants experience in Laos

Posted by gugli on 6/11/2009 at 17:15

I would like to ask if you have any experience with elephants rides in Laos? I have read a nice article here on Travelfish but this Tiger Trail company is quite expensive...? I am looking of a half to one day experience(and I would prefer to sit right on the elephant rather than on this seat they put on them...)

#1 gugli has been a member since 5/11/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by MyLaoHome on 8/11/2009 at 15:25

Hi there,

You can try approaching this company called elephant village.

They are the original ones in Luang Prabang. It was started by a German named Mr Markus.

a half day package comes with an hour ride, vegetarian buffet lunch, and a trip to tad sae waterfall. $30 - $35

a full day package comes with learning how to ride the elephant and showering for them as well. $60 - $65

Not sure about the pricing though. Haven't been updating myself for about 3 - 4 months with them already.

Hope this helps.

Oh here's their website:

#2 MyLaoHome has been a member since 23/4/2009. Location: Laos. Posts: 10
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by scottyheather on 23/11/2009 at 14:34

Hi - I emailed this company regarding booking a day trip with them on Christmas Day and got a lovely email back from Michael (I think he's the owner) advising that he would reserve two places for me without a deposit (I only have to pay as soon as we get to Luang Prabang).

The cost for the one day Mahout tour is US$66 which I guess some people might think is a bit high. However, all the money goes into the care of the elephants (all of whom have been rescued from the logging industry) and many of these animals have disabilities and injuries which need constant treating. For me, this is going to be one of the highlights of my trip and I'd pay ten times that amount for the trip of lifetime especially given the good work they are doing for the elephants.

Hope this helps a bit.....

#3 scottyheather has been a member since 30/3/2008. Posts: 89
 Send scottyheather a private message 

Posted by scottyheather on 23/11/2009 at 14:38

BTW I was a tad disappointed to see that the latest edition of the Lonely Planet dedicates roughly one sentence to the Elephant Village which surely must be a real highlight of Luang Prabang. In fact, I only really came across this place by googling "elephants" and "laos" and I was glad I did.

#4 scottyheather has been a member since 30/3/2008. Posts: 89
 Send scottyheather a private message 

Posted by cybervlad on 27/11/2009 at 18:12

Hi gugli,
In the beginning ov January I spent 2d/1n at "Mahout Loudge":
Good service, reasonable price, funny experience :)

#5 cybervlad has been a member since 6/6/2007. Location: Thailand. Posts: 182
 Send cybervlad a private message   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.