Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Lao Pdr solo tour

Posted by unid on 4/12/2009 at 19:08

I am planning a cycling trip to Lao PDR leaving late January for 8 weeks. My idea so far is that i will land at Bangkok and take the train to Nong Khai
then cycle-tour clockwise around Laos. crossing the border into Cambodia for the obligatory Angkor wat trip, ending with a 4-5 days relaxing on a beach somewhere in Thailand before making my way back to Bangkok.
I am estimating that 8 weeks will be enough time to do this.
My budget will be £1500 exc flights.
I am hoping that is enough for accommodation, visas and train travel.
I am planning to travel at a leisurely pace around 50 miles a day with plenty of stops when i make discoveries.
I am not interested in the vang vieng kind of scene. more looking for a solace, silence and nature focused journey.
Any thoughts welcomed.

#1 unid has been a member since 4/12/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by unid on 4/12/2009 at 20:59

Hi thanks for looking,

Just to add a little more detail
Once i got onto the bike my rough idea is that my route will be Vientiane - xanakhan - Pak lay - Phiang - Luang Prabang - touring golden triangle - Luang Namtha - Phongsali region - Vieng thong - Phonsavan - Then heading south for the emerald triangle (have yet to see a detailed road/trackmap so this is all fairly sketchy.

#2 unid has been a member since 4/12/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by MADMAC on 5/12/2009 at 12:45

For me personally food would be an issue on such a route. I would pack some food stuffs with you just in case you're in the sticks and find the food not up to snuff.

#3 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.