Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Phonsavanh to Hanoi

Posted by gillerz960 on 5/1/2010 at 10:54

Hi I am currently in Vientiane and am going to phonsavanh in a day or two and then onto Hanoi . Is there a way to fly from phonsavanh to Hanoi and who with?

If not is it a good idea to go xam neua and use the border crossing there? I have heard this crossing is tricky.

If we don't use that crossing we will probably cross at nong het but will have few days spare between phonsavanh and the crossing. Does anyone have any reccomendations as to what we should do in that area?

#1 gillerz960 has been a member since 17/11/2009. Posts: 16

Posted by somtam2000 on 5/1/2010 at 19:09 admin

No. You can only fly to Hanoi from Luang Prabang or Vientiane.

Both crossings are, in the scheme of things, pretty straightforward, but if you find yourself with a couple of spare days, I'd recommend heading up to the Vieng Xai/Sam Neua area for the Pathet Leo caves etc.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by grasshopper322 on 6/1/2010 at 01:41

We flew back to Vientienne and then to Hanoi. While in Phonsavahn we stayed at the Hillside Residence, hired our own guide and 2 motorbikes and had the best tour to the Plain of Jars, local villages, etc. I think we paid $20US each for the tour, guide and bikes. We also had to pay our way into each site which was minimal. Totally worth it - much better than being in a minivan.

#3 grasshopper322 has been a member since 30/9/2009. Posts: 25

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.