Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

A walk in the woods, trekking in the Nam Ha NPA

Posted by somtam2000 on 20/2/2010 at 11:00 admin

I've just put up a blog entry regarding my experiences of the last two days trekking in the Nam Ha NPA in northern Laos. Excuse any typos, I've a sprained wrist!

You can read the blog entry here

Comments, as always, are welcome!

#1 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by somsai on 22/2/2010 at 10:51

Sounds like you put the best face possible on a not so fantastic trek.

Some thoughts.

It's too bad your guide didn't facilitate conversation. His language, Tai Lue, is the lingua franca for the entire region, everyone can speak some to one degree or another. Most older Akha males can carry on detailed conversations in Lue.

That guy who was instrumental in establishing Luang Namtha as a center of trekking mentioned communication and the wish to make a connection as one of the most vexing problems in the trekking experience. Your local guide, was probably an ethnic minority, that's part of the reason they are hired is to help bridge the gap. There are other ways also to attempt to facilitate an exchange which the guide should have initiated. Many of the techniques are those worked out by the Thai programs where many Lao guides have gone for training.

I like to go alone despite the added cost. Most upland villages are of only one ethnicity, and one falang and one Tai Lue wandering in is not so different from a couple of Hmong guys wandering in, or a couple of Kamu soldiers from the government as also sometimes happens.

Thanks for the enjoyable read, I've been following and learning about twitter also. If this is how guidebooks were written I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I liked the part about people insisting LP was paid off, too funny.

#2 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 568

Posted by christay2009 on 22/2/2010 at 21:17

Interesting report. Its a real shame that there was no possibility of communication between the group and the villagers. I found this aspect of my trek to be the most rewarding. We could ask our guide questions and, if he didn't know, he could find out the answer. We were also fed snippets of conversation by the guide when there was some joking going on or something relevant to what he had told us etc

This was especially helpful as it was teachers day when we were staying in the village; everyone was ruinously drunk and had no fears about giving us some lighthearted abuse about our lack of stomach for lao-lao. In the morning, after breakfast, one guy said "the foreigners, they eat so little rice i don't know how they stand" which everyone found pretty funny - including us, thanks to translation!

#3 christay2009 has been a member since 8/2/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 414

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.