Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos additions forum

Loang Phabang to Hoi An?

Posted by Rainbird on 24/11/2010 at 18:07

My wife (both retired but fit) and I have about 7 weeks in Asia travelling independently. Arrive KL 9th Dec leave from KL 23 Jan. We've booked to Hanoi for Monday 13th Dec and intend to spend about 5/6 days in the city to include a 2 day one night tour on Ha Long Bay. After that we plan on Luang Probang (probably fly) but then we want to travel overland down through Laos and come out at a border crossing near our next intended stop Hoi An . We can't figure this part out - I guess we need a mix of maybe river and road, any suggestions please? After a few days in Hoi An it's probably overland to Saigon and then Phnom Penh and Siem Reap from where we'll fly back (early New Year maybe) to KL and then out to Langkawi for a few weeks R&R. We're are on a budget so any suggestions for hotels along the way or trips (from travellers please) appreciated. Will be scouring Travelfish etc in the meantime before we leave.

#1 Rainbird has been a member since 24/11/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by Archmichael on 25/11/2010 at 10:19

Hi: There are two crossings in southern Lao, going into Viet Nam.

East of Savannakhet, across the width of the country, is a crossing at Lao Bao, Viet Nam. From there, you go on Hwy. 9 to QL-1a to Hue, thence to Da Nang /Hoi An.

Further south in Lao, east of Pak Xe and Attapeu, is a crossing that leads to Plei Can, Viet Nam. From there, you would have to take Hwy. 14 ("Ho Chi Minh Trail") north to Da Nang and Hoi An.

In both cases, you would be traveling by bus. From Luang Prabang, you could take a bus to Vientiene, or fly. South of Vientiene, if you want to see the country, you will be riding on busses. Besides information here on TF, take a look also at http://laomeow.blogspot.com/, where there is a great deal of information about busses in Lao. Passenger travel on the Mekong, particularly south of Luang Prabang, is pretty much a thing of the past.

Have a great trip!

#2 Archmichael has been a member since 23/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 396
 Send Archmichael a private message 

Posted by rshamash on 15/3/2013 at 12:50

trying to work out how to get from luang prabang to hoi an(apart from flying)

#3 rshamash has been a member since 15/3/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by daawgon on 16/3/2013 at 22:03

Your itinerary has me scratching my head - ( Hanoi - Luang Prabang -Hoi An) - very expensive if you fly, and very uncomfortable if by land! Seems to me it makes more sense to see Luang Prabang before or after Siem Reap. You also will need a multiple-entry visa For VN if you go with the original plan.

Lao Airlines is the cheapest flight - book on their official website (they're very good)

I was in both Luang Prabang and Hanoi last Nov/Dec - Hanoi pleasant but smoggy and cool, while Luang Prabang was much warmer with some rain

#4 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,130
 Send daawgon a private message 

Posted by caseyprich on 16/3/2013 at 22:42

The original post is from 2010 . . . rshamash just botted it up.

#5 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.