Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos additions forum

Luang Prabang - SpicyLaos Backpackers

Posted by flopsydaisy on 14/12/2008 at 18:14

I've been staying at SpicyLaos Backpackers for a week now and finding it increasingly difficult to leave. I've had the best experience here so far.

In the past week, I've been on a trip to the Waterfalls. Was taken to a local Wat for an Introductory talk on Buddhism and Monk life by the Hostel's director, Pong. We've been to a local Lao BBQ. We've had a hostel bbq and cocktail night. We've had a in Introduction to Laos history and culture, again by Pong. And we've been on a wood-collecting trip to the jungle to collect dead trees for fire wood with local Lao people, eating fresh Lao food by the river.

Spicylaos offers such good value for money. You get a free breakfast, free hot drinks all day, free internet and Wifi, hot showers, an honesty fridge, on-site laundry and the hugest TV I've seen in a hostel! All this, plus a great, chilled-out atmosphere and the chance to meet lots of fellow travellers. For only 70,000kip a night, this a real treat.

Highly recommended.

www.spicythaibackers.com

#1 flopsydaisy has been a member since 3/9/2008. Posts: 7

Posted by brucemoon on 30/12/2008 at 07:52

flopsydaisy

That's a dud link.

Got another?

cheers

#2 brucemoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by mattocmd on 30/12/2008 at 09:46

dorms are a bit pricey

#3 mattocmd has been a member since 13/6/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 365
 Send mattocmd a private message 

Posted by wigboy on 31/12/2008 at 00:44

Here is their new website addy for Thailand and Laos:

http://www.spicyhostels.com/

#4 wigboy has been a member since 12/12/2006. Posts: 14

Posted by flopsydaisy on 31/12/2008 at 06:32

Sorry about the dud link...

The dorm prices are a little bit higher but you get so much for your money. I think it' definitely worth it.

You get free breakfast, free hot drinks 24 hours a day, free internet access, free wifi, plus it has such a community atmosphere with Pong,the director, always rallying the backpackers together, taking them out and giving great talks. I have made so many great friends here and learnt so much more about the city and the country from hanging out with the locals.

Totally worth the extra dollar.

#5 flopsydaisy has been a member since 3/9/2008. Posts: 7

Posted by brucemoon on 31/12/2008 at 07:31

flopsydaisy

Being a retired couple, we enjoy the 'comaraderie' of hostels. For us, spicyhostels at Chiang Mai looks great as it has a double ensuite room. Not so, LP (so sad).

cheers anyway

#6 brucemoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.