Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

Recommendations for a beach stay in Malaysia

Posted by KazAussie on 25/4/2010 at 07:50

Hi,

I am after recommendations for beach accommodation in Malaysia. Basically what we are after is...

Snorkelling off the beach
Not large multi storey hotels, rather somewhere with some character
A little bit of luxury
Not so isolated that we can't eat outside the resort

While I wouldn't say money is no object, we are looking for a bit of spoiling.

Anyone have any recommendations?

#1 KazAussie has been a member since 18/7/2009. Posts: 221

Posted by idreamofdurian on 25/4/2010 at 18:28 TF writer

Hmm... you might like Langkawi. There's some very nice resorts and a good variety of restaurants serving all kinds of international food. The snorkeling off the beach isn't fabulous, but you can do great day trips to the nearby smaller islands.

The Perhentian islands are gorgeous and the snorkeling is great - even right off the beach - but they're a little more isolated. Pulau Perhentian Besar (big) is more up-market with resorts, but I stayed on Pulau Perhentian Kecil (small) which is more backpacker-style digs. The restaurants there are mostly all connected to a guesthouse, and have really similar menus since all the food has to be shipped in. Dining was a little disappointing there, but the snorkeling was a 10/10.

#2 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by KazAussie on 26/4/2010 at 05:33

Thanks very much for your quick response.

At this point we are tossing up between, travelling north from KL, through Penang and finishing up in Langkawi, or travelling east going to Tamen Negra and heading to the Perhentian Islands. I am just not sure how much travel time would be involved Tamen Negra to Perhetian Islands.

Cheers

Kaz

#3 KazAussie has been a member since 18/7/2009. Posts: 221

Posted by idreamofdurian on 26/4/2010 at 09:01 TF writer

To really appreciate Taman Negara/Perhentians I'd say you need a week or more. I outlined the transport stuff pretty clearly for another poster here: https://www.travelfish.org/board/post/malaysia/10236_from-samui-by-train---suggestions-on-where-to-stop-

#4 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by tezza on 26/4/2010 at 17:50

"Snorkelling off the beach
Not large multi storey hotels, rather somewhere with some character
A little bit of luxury
Not so isolated that we can't eat outside the resort"

Google Paya Beach Resort - Tioman

#5 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,345
 Website 

Posted by AbgAcid on 5/5/2010 at 15:39

There are three best islands on the eastern coast of the Peninsula.
1.tioman
2. Redang
3 Perhentian.

By most the Tioman is most developed, followed by perhentian.

AA

#6 AbgAcid has been a member since 28/11/2009. Location: Malaysia. Posts: 162
 Send AbgAcid a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.