Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

Malaysia as an alternative to Thailand?

Posted by bluebelle on 18/5/2010 at 05:29

My friend and I (both female, early 20s) are booked to go to Thailand, her for 4 weeks and me joining her for the last 2. There is a chance we might have to rearrange or leave when we get there because of the ongoing problems. Originally our plans included Bangkok, some smaller towns and villages, national park (jungle-like but quite accessible) and island hopping, beaches, maybe scuba diving.

I was wondering how we might plan a similar trip in a similar time frame if we ended up going to Malaysia instead? We've both been swatting up on Thai guide books and advice so don't know anything about Malaysia and what it has to offer! Our budget is pretty average, we don't need fancy hotels but will happily pay for safety.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

#1 bluebelle has been a member since 13/4/2010. Posts: 15

Posted by somtam2000 on 18/5/2010 at 10:37 admin

Hi,

When are you looking at going -- weather considerations will influence what kind of recommendations you'll get (east coast/west coast etc).

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,575
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by bluebelle on 18/5/2010 at 16:02

She's leaving on sunday (hopefully) and me 2 weeks later sorry!

#3 bluebelle has been a member since 13/4/2010. Posts: 15

Posted by idreamofdurian on 19/5/2010 at 08:43 TF writer

Jungle - Taman Negara park (trekking, wildlife viewing, camping)

Nature - Cameron Highlands (trekking, tea plantations, cooler weather)

History - Penang or Melaka

Beaches - Perhentian Islands, Tioman Island, Langkawi

And that's just Western Malaysia -- Borneo (East Malaysia) is great, too.

#4 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by mjgaylord on 21/5/2010 at 06:42

Penang, Perhentians and Melaka are definitely on my list. Melaka was the most surprising of all if you want to experience a bit of authentic Malaysian culture Perhentians are really rustic and beautiful. Langkawi was a bit pricey and a bit touristy, and if you don't want to spend a fortune on taxis you will need to hire a scooter or a car.

Otherwise, you can always catch a bus into Southern Thailand from Malaysia if you want to see a bit of Southern Thailand. Just note that you only get a 15 day visa at the overland border post.

#5 mjgaylord has been a member since 12/7/2009. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.