Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

2 weeks in Malaysia - itinerary advice please

Posted by slordan on 2/9/2010 at 19:17

Hi

I'm going to Malaysia on 18 September for two weeks and I have not really put much thought into what I'm going to do. At the moment I only have my flight to KL booked.

Places I am interested to see are KL, Perhenthian islands maybe Redang island also.

And if I can fit Langkawi - I might go there too. but that might be trying to fit too much in? Am I better to stick to either east or west coast when I only have 2 weeks?

Perhaps instead of going to Langkawi there are more interesting things to see and do on the east coast - not to far from Kuala Terengganu?

Thank you for any advice.

#1 slordan has been a member since 24/8/2009. Posts: 13

Posted by idreamofdurian on 3/9/2010 at 11:01 TF writer

If you can afford some domestic flights, it'll make it easier to see both coasts. Otherwise you'll be spending way too much time on buses! Sometimes it's even cheaper than the bus, actually -- www.airasia.com

If you're heading to Langkawi, I'd also suggest checking out Penang (it's pretty much on the way) for some history and great food. If you like nature, Taman Negara in the centre of the country is a must. I haven't been to Terengganu, but I know people go there to see the fireflies.

#2 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by sems on 4/9/2010 at 10:51

redang is lovely, especially if you like snorkeling or diving, the marine park is really good, we stayed at the divers den, in a beachfront hut, they have cheap packages, its not flashy but we had a great time there, and all the meals are included in the price. If you like food Penang is the place to go and the night markets along Batu Ferranggi are worth a wander, and Kek Lok Si is an amazing place to visit, and Penang Hill has quite a view. Langkawi is very laid back and easy to get around, especially if you hire a car, its quite sleepy over on the beach side and well sign posted, and cars are dirt cheap, we hired (with insurance) for $20 AUD a day. A great thing about Langkawi is it is tax and duty free, so if you like a drink, a smoke or cheap name brand clothes its amazing!! The cable car from the Oriental Village is well worth the trip (it doesn't run if its windy or storms are predicted) and sliding down the seven wells waterfall is heaps of fun (lots and lots of steps to get up) (wear your bathers under your clothes the change rooms are horrid) Theres heaps more touristy stuff to do in Langkawi, aquarium is surprisingly good, jet skis are cheap to hire and the kayaking on Klim river was brilliant, Tanjung Rhu beach is a lovely spot (picture postcard perfect). In K.L. I suggest you stay around Bukit Bingtang or Chinatown so you are close to everything, Sunway Lagoon is a great , cheap waterpark day out, Batu caves are cool, Chinatown is always busy, Central Market is great for handicrafts, K.L. Menara is well worth going up, although you have to pay, unlike Petronas which is free but you have to get there really early to get allocated a ticket and they give you a time to show up which is a pain. I love Malaysia and I hope you have a great time.....

#3 sems has been a member since 8/8/2010. Posts: 28
 Send sems a private message 

Posted by peter007 on 11/9/2010 at 16:05

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}Welcometo Malaysia. Malaysia,I myself, I choose KL as an example, a nice place, summerall the time, nice food, places to visit, big shopping malls with many brands. Otherstates are nice too, some the places are not yet fully develop, you can findpeaceful villages here. Bad thing is, beware of snatch thefts’. Well, you havedone nice decision. Have a good travel.

#4 peter007 has been a member since 2/9/2010. Posts: 4

Posted by peter007 on 11/9/2010 at 16:07

Welcometo Malaysia. Malaysia,I myself, I choose KL as an example, a nice place, summerall the time, nice food, places to visit, big shopping malls with many brands. Otherstates are nice too, some the places are not yet fully develop, you can findpeaceful villages here. Bad thing is, beware of snatch thefts’. Well, you havedone nice decision. Have a good travel.

#5 peter007 has been a member since 2/9/2010. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.