Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

4 weeks in peninsular malaysia

Posted by wallchurch on 24/10/2010 at 18:30

hi im first time traveller flying into singapore then heading to malaysia for roughly four weeks before heading into thailand over land or by boat. i will be travelling on my own in malaysia before meeting friends in thailand who are on a two week holiday. i will be heading into thailand roughly on the 27th or 28th of december and i will be arriving in singapore on a one way ticket on the 1st of december. i will be flying out of bangkock on the 1st of febuary to new zealand on a 12 month working holiday visa. was just wondering is it worth heading up the jungle line and spening some time making my way down the east coast in december or should i just stick to the west coast for four weeks? any replies would be greatly appretiated!

and also would it be worth getting a tourist visa for thailand whilst im in malaysia or shall i just stick to boarder runs as when i am in thailand will be mostly sticking to the islands in the south?

#1 wallchurch has been a member since 24/10/2010. Posts: 4
 Send wallchurch a private message 

Posted by CapturingPenang on 25/10/2010 at 23:44

Hi,

Good to hear you have so much time to spend traveling in Malaysia. With a month, you will get a chance to explore many places on the peninsula (you could also fly to Borneo for a week or two if you want).

In December, the east coast of Malaysia will be rainy and the islands will be closed for the monsoon season. Best to stick to the interior (Taman Negara, Cameron Highlands, Ipoh) and the west coast (Melaka, KL, Pangkor Island, Penang, Langkawi Island).

For more information on Penang, please visit our blog, Capturing Penang, at: edit by admin Please no self promos.

Have a great trip!

Mark & Reese

#2 CapturingPenang has been a member since 19/9/2010. Posts: 6
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by idreamofdurian on 26/10/2010 at 10:54 TF writer

Penang 's right -- stick to the West coast unless you don't mind the rain. Even Taman Negara (the big national park in the centre of Malaysia) will be pretty wet, which makes hiking a bit more challenging but also means the park will have fewer tourists.

With 4 weeks to spend in Malaysia you might want to consider flying over to East Malaysia -- then you can experience a national park like Bako (near Kuching) with less rain. And flights to Kuching or Kota Kinabalu are quite cheap out of Kuala Lumpur or even Singapore.

How long will you be spending in Thailand that you're considering getting a visa? You could pick up a 2-month tourist visa at the Thai consulate in Penang or the embassy in Kuala Lumpur. There's also an embassy in Singapore -- http://www.thaiembassy.sg/ Alternatively, there's lots of travel agencies in Phuket and the other popular islands that offer a visa run service to Myanmar or Malaysia.

#3 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by wallchurch on 31/10/2010 at 01:01

hi thnaks for gettting back, was going to spend about four or five weeks in thailand, was just wondering if you could tell me how much a tourist visa would be and also how long it will take to sort out? and also do you know roughly how long it takes to get from singapore to melaka by bus because none of the bus companies seem to have an arrival time in melaka. greatly appretiate the information.

#4 wallchurch has been a member since 24/10/2010. Posts: 4
 Send wallchurch a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.