Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

2 weeks in Malaysia

Posted by fretchard on 13/9/2011 at 07:39

Hello.

My boyfriend and i are planning to stay in Malaysia for 2 weeks, after a year in Australia. We plan to try and see quite alot of the area, starting off in KL.

We are having 2 weeks in Bali prior to this, so beaches wont neccessarily be a priority. Therefore would like to try and see as much as we can of Malaysia, travelling around and staying in different spots, such as Lang Kawi, Penang etc.

What do you all suggest?

Thanks

#1 fretchard has been a member since 12/9/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by busylizzy on 13/9/2011 at 07:45

I haven't seen a huge amount of Malaysia recently other than KL and Melaka - but I would recommend Melaka (also spelled Malacca). It's a small town with a bit of heritage, interesting nooks and crannies to explore, a fabulous food hall, a kind of kitsch central area by the church (enjoy a flower laden cyclo ride around town if you dare) .

Cameron Highlands was also nice, although I haven't been there for 20 years.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by chinarocks on 13/9/2011 at 16:22

As you probably know Malaysia is really two countries - Peninsular and Borneo. First off I would say, just stick to one or the other in a two-week timeframe (flying across to Kinabalu is a waste of time just for 2-3 days or something, you'll end up seeing neither side properly). From what you say above, it looks like Peninsular Malaysia is your preference.

Two weeks = four places max.

You said you didn't really want beaches after Bali but yet have included Langkawi. If you do want a beach resort then look into going to the Perhentians as a (cheaper) alternative.

KL: 2-3 days
Penang: 4 days
Perhentians: 4 days
Cameron Highlands: 3-4 days

#3 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 738

Posted by tyler on 14/9/2011 at 01:24

Hey Fretchard,
You've been given great advice so far. Peninsular Malaysia is very easy to travel (so is Borneo) so you'll have no trouble getting anywhere you want. I was in Malaysia 2 years ago for close to 3 months and loved it all - given the choice I'd go back to Borneo before the mainland.
Some thoughts...
? use one of your days in KL to get to Melaka
? Chinatown in Penang is a cool place to stay - great food, different accom
? What time of year are you going? The Perhantians can have some tough weather from January to April.
I loved the Cameron Highlands. Feels like a different climate, the fresh strawberry ice cream is killer!!!
Have fun!

#4 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Send tyler a private message   Where has tyler been? 

Posted by fretchard on 16/9/2011 at 10:33

Hey Guys!

Thanks for all the advice!

We are heading there end of November time, early December.

Four places sound roughly what we were looking for. We'l start doing some more reseach now!

Thanks again

Fretchard!

#5 fretchard has been a member since 12/9/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by tantan on 16/9/2011 at 20:12

Hey Fretchard,
Im from Malaysia,if you would like to visit Cameron Highlands,make sure to go to Gua Tempurung day trip also,feel free to hook up with me when you are in Malaysia......
tt

#6 tantan has been a member since 23/3/2011. Posts: 50
 Send tantan a private message 

Posted by cliona on 17/10/2011 at 12:00

Malaysia is the most fascinating tourist destination to visit.This beautiful country offers two different experience, Peninsula and Borneo. The Peninsula offers you truly diverse cultures of Chinese, Malay and Indian. On the other hand Borneo has many exciting places with wild jungles, granite peaks and many alike that elate visitor's heart.

#7 cliona has been a member since 12/10/2011. Posts: 9

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.