Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

Newish Borneo Budget Options

Posted by LJ on 15/12/2011 at 07:09

Thought I'd share some places there are bit new and improved for the budget traveler that I found on my recent visit to Sabah. Apart from Uncle Tans and Mescot these were all not here a few years ago and makes the chances to get slightly off the beaten track independently a little more easier in Sabah.

If you are happy to hire a motorbike Go Go Sabah seems to be popular and the bikes reasonable value to hire and they are in KK.

At the very tip of Borneo, great beach and lots of things to do like surf, bike and relax

Long going community tourism program on the Kinabatanagan river that now has a new jungle camp upstream that i stayed in which was great as there were loads of student groups in the village. Saw a wild orangutan, not as cheap as Uncle tans but if you want your money to go to a community and not a big company the best option.

This place is very new and near Poring Hot Springs and I came here after the mountain climb but it would have been good to be here before to give the legs a workout - proper forest right next to the national park, it is a basic camp set up made from bamboo. We did a night trek and saw a western tarsier - brilliant, lots of rivers and watwrfalls to swim in

Longest running budget option for river and wildlife cruising - now in a new location upriver from old camp

Not budget but different and if you can get a bed something very alternative on the river as it is high on a hilltop with great views and when I stayed I didnt even have to go on a boat cruise to see an orangutan - there was one right behind the restaurant - food and the owners are great.

#1 LJ has been a member since 4/1/2011. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.