Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

East Coast Beaches

Posted by Lraj on 25/4/2012 at 13:17

Hello, I am planning an 8 day trip to singapore and malaysia. I'm hoping to spend some time in taman negra. I also would love to see some of the islands on the east coast. I am debating about either flying up to kota bharu and trying to get to some islands from there or taking a bus from singapore to mersing and then exploring around tioman island.

Any suggestions on which is the better option? I prefer modest priced or less and not too crowded

#1 Lraj has been a member since 23/4/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by moer2237 on 30/4/2012 at 01:58

Hi Lraj,

If you are looking for less crowded try Pulau Redang or Pulau Perhentian. It is less crowded compared to Tioman. Btw, you will need to fly to Kuala Terengganu instead of Kota Bharu.

All the best.
Moer Ahmad

#2 moer2237 has been a member since 20/4/2010. Location: Malaysia. Posts: 20

Posted by ewilder on 4/5/2012 at 10:09

I live here in Malaysia and actually just got back from Tioman about 5 days ago.

I personally LOVE Pulau Perhentian (Kecil), the small island. It is my home away from home on long weekends. However, in the past year it has sadly started getting more "trashed" literally quite a bit of trash coming in on the tide every morning/evening. When I first went 3 years ago I was amazed by the clarity and the beauty. Don't get me wrong still AMAZING. Perhentians is a small island, you can walk across it in about 3-5 minutes and up and down the entire Long Beach in about the same amount of time. It has a couple of beach bars, lots of dive shops, and little restaurant/chalets to stay at. My suggestion is Moonlight. Great staff...though don't expect a whole lot accommodation wise....

Tioman is beautiful. Be prepared that it's a 2-3 hour boat ride from Mersing out to the island, dependent on which beach you are going to and if the boat is on time. I stayed in Salang, the last stop on the ferry. It was a beautiful spot and from what I was told the best in terms of "beaches" on the island. You can take a taxi boat to other beaches for 20-50 RM. The water is beautiful and the people were great. However, if you are looking for the "party" scene, I wouldn't recommend Salang because it is a pretty mellow/low key location with lots of families and locals.

I'm from the US but live and work here in Malaysia so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Taman Negara is great!

#3 ewilder has been a member since 4/5/2012. Posts: 3

Posted by Lraj on 4/5/2012 at 15:41

Thanks for your help.

Any suggestions on interesting places to stop for a night between johor bahru and kuala besut (en route to pulau perhentian kecil)? We decided to drive so we could see some more of the penninsular east coast

#4 Lraj has been a member since 23/4/2012. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.