Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

Buying a motorbike in KL

Posted by Bumble833 on 18/11/2012 at 15:12

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I are about to embark on a 5 week trip around SE Asia, starting in KL and heading north. He had this idea that it would be awesome to buy our own transport and make our way around by motorbike.
Does anyone know the price/feasibility for a foreign traveller to buy a motorbike in KL or elsewhere in Malaysia. And how doable this notion is?

#1 Bumble833 has been a member since 18/11/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by buland on 28/11/2012 at 03:51

i don't know the rate for buying. but i can tell you that you can rent a motor bike for 5 days. it will take 20 ringit per hour.

#2 buland has been a member since 28/11/2012. Posts: 9

Posted by iskandarsuhaimi on 28/11/2012 at 03:58

Very doable. I suggest you go to (Malaysia classified site )and see the list of bikes sold by locals. Not only will you get far cheaper prices than ones in store, you'll probably make some friends too.

My only concern is the paperwork. Not sure how the Road Transport Authority would process the road tax, change of ownership and insurance for a foreigner.

By the way, if all is well, it should the process is less than half an hour to complete all (based on my experience selling and buying bikes to/from locals)

p/s The good thing about using bike on the highway is it is free. But the bad thing is you just need to be aware of the crazy drivers of the South East Asia.

#3 iskandarsuhaimi has been a member since 28/11/2012. Location: Global Village. Posts: 7
 Where has iskandarsuhaimi been?   Website   Facebook    Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.