Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

a few days - your fave?

Posted by upstateNYlauren on 29/11/2012 at 12:37

hello all!
i'll be travelling north by train from singapore to ko lipe in mid december. i think i want to stopover in malaysia because i hear it's not to be passed over. what's the best most affordable place for beauty, amazing food and en route to ko lipe? what do folks recommend? - penang? langkawi? would love your advice!

#1 upstateNYlauren has been a member since 29/11/2012. Posts: 5

Posted by caseyprich on 30/11/2012 at 00:34

Alas, Langkawi is really a holiday island and I don't think it has the most authentic Malaysia feel to it - or even the best food. If you want a sense of Malaysia and the cuisine I think you'd be better off staying in Penang a few days. It isn't an ideal swimming or beach spot, but you're following it up with Koh Lipe directly afterward, so why worry. It is also more mid-way so does a better job of breaking up the trip to Thailand. Langkawi is a stone throw from Koh Lipe so seems a little redundant.

#2 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by chinarocks on 30/11/2012 at 03:59

I would second casey's advice. Penang has great food and, while maybe not obviously beautiful, I found it a great place to kick back for four or five days.

#3 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 738

Posted by upstateNYlauren on 30/11/2012 at 07:06

thanks, y'all! appreciate the advice!

#4 upstateNYlauren has been a member since 29/11/2012. Posts: 5

Posted by mickeymouse on 2/12/2012 at 20:30

Hello! I like Penang, they have good local food and places are easy to go around. There are mixes of beach and city so you can enjoy both at the same time.

#5 mickeymouse has been a member since 2/12/2012. Posts: 9

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.