Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

Malaysia first week of October - advice please

Posted by MissBanana on 9/9/2014 at 23:54

Hey
I have a week off from the 1st to the 7th of October, and have been thinking of coming to Malaysia. I really just want to relax by a nice beach as I don't have a lot of time and on a bit of a budget.
I've read on the travelfish weather page that Langkawi would not be good at that time, though another website said Langkawi is getting out of the rainy season in Ocotber. Not really attracted to Perhentian islands based on the things I read here.

I don't really know what would be best. If anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks

#1 MissBanana has been a member since 23/1/2013. Posts: 8

Posted by tezza on 23/9/2014 at 05:52

Interesting question. Look, I'm a weather nerd - I do think October is a bit early to be seeing the start of dry season in Langkawi in a normal year. But this year - who know?
I have visited the neighbouring Thai Andaman region (which is in the same climatic zone) many times in wet season - I've never had one visit spoiled by lack of sunshine/too much rain.

Is Langkawi a better bet weather wise than the other side of the Isthmus? Well I have an answer about the Perhentians and Tioman somewhere close on this forum which more or less says don't write either off in October - but I really do think that October is a month that normallly gives no advantage to either side.

Is Langkawi a better bet tourist wise? Um, that's up to individual choice. I like all 3 pretty equally. Langkawi has the advantage of probably more places staying open all year, more frequent and BIG ferries which are what you want in any rough seas and the ability to fly onto the island (okay, you can fly onto Tioman with Berjaya Air but less frequently and more expensively). I reckon beaches are about equal, water clarity not as good, snorkelling off the beach way inferior and duty free way better (Tioman has duty free but it is less accessible).

#2 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,345
 Website 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by neilmason on 10/10/2014 at 17:23

And the duty free on Langkawi is much cheaper than that on Tioman!

#3 neilmason has been a member since 31/12/2012. Posts: 45

Posted by neilmason on 10/10/2014 at 17:23

And the duty free on Langkawi is much cheaper than that on Tioman!

#4 neilmason has been a member since 31/12/2012. Posts: 45

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.