Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

Late January itinerary from Singapore to Langkawi: help needed!

Posted by MartinaSmartiz on 15/10/2014 at 05:41

Dear all,
I'll probably have a couple of weeks off in late January and I'd love to visit Malaysia. As I read on TF, in january the best choice would be to visit the western coast of peninsular Malaysia. I'm planning to fly via Singapore, spending there a day or two and then heading north. My final destination would be Langkawi, where I'd like to enjoy roughly a week of island life (a mixture of relax on the beach and inland trips) and then head back to Singapore to fly home. I'll have five to seven days to spend travelling from Singapore to Langkawi: where should I stop? Melaka, KL, Penang? Any advice is more than welcome!

#1 MartinaSmartiz has been a member since 6/12/2013. Location: Italy. Posts: 4
 Send MartinaSmartiz a private message 

Posted by withluck on 16/10/2014 at 08:17

Depends on your interests. Kuala Lumpur , Malacca and Penang offer different culture and lifestyle activities. Kuala Lumpur is more suitable for shopping, city lifestyle activities and night activities. Malacca offers enrich historical cultures and buildings, and nyonya dishes. Whereas Penang is mixing with relaxing at beach, British built, prewar buildings, street foods and nature lovers. Those love national park but has little time to explore, Penang is the best place to start as it has the world smallest national park in the world. Having said that, Penang is also ranked quite high for retirement places, street foods and must visit place in various travel blogs or articles. If you are flying from Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Penang have direct flights (full service and low cost).

A Malaysian Licensed Tourist Guide

#2 withluck has been a member since 27/4/2014. Location: Malaysia. Posts: 17
 Send withluck a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by GattinaRosa on 16/10/2014 at 11:37

My husband and I are currently doing exactly the same thing ... We are in Penang at the moment.

I highly recommend Melaka . There is a bus directly from Singapore (we travelled with Delima who were very good). Travel time was about 4 hours and the border crossing was very quick and easy. Melaka is a lovely place to relax for a few days, see some gorgeous architecture and wander around museums. Try to be there on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday, as the night markets on weekends make the place come alive.

We travelled directly from Melaka to KL - again on bus (think we travelled with KKKL this time). 2.5 hours. Personally, we really didn't like KL for a number of reasons. If you like shopping, it'd be great. But we didn't feel safe at all and there wasn't much that interested us there.

After KL, we took a bus to the Cameron Highlands - highly recommend here if you like nature, the outdoors and trekking. Beautiful hills, nice and cool temperature, tea plantations, strawberry farms.... A world away from the busy streets of KL. Can get a bus from KL which takes about 4 hours.

We then got another bus to Penang this morning - 4.5 hours.

We plan to go to Langkawi next by ferry.

I'll update around Penang and our journey to Langkawi once we are there.

Pop me a message if you have any questions.

#3 GattinaRosa has been a member since 28/7/2014. Posts: 18

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.