Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

Food in Penang

Posted by Hermantravel on 11/11/2014 at 09:28

It has been said the Penang is the food capital of Malaysia and is also ranked among top ten greatest street food cities in Asia. I will probably be there for about 4 or 5 days and would like to get your recommendations on some food I should try, from main dishes to desserts to snacks. My goal is to write an article on the best food Penang has to offer. Any input are welcome.

#1 Hermantravel has been a member since 10/11/2014. Posts: 2
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by antoniamitchell on 11/11/2014 at 14:37

There are far too many amazing dishes to try: nyonya cuisine, char koay teow, hokkien mee, penang laksa, ais kacang.... I could go on and on (but I'd only end up drooling on my keyboard).

If you're looking for more specific recommendations in terms of restaurants, you probably won't go wrong reading Robin of Eating Asia (food writer who lives in Penang):
http://eatingasia.typepad.com/eatingasia/penang/

Happy eating!

#2 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 541
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by daawgon on 13/11/2014 at 12:33

I'm going to Georgetown soon myself, and discovered a great site for food -

click here for a sweet and here for Nasi Lemak

I'm going in Feb for part of CNY, what about you?

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,151
 Send daawgon a private message 

Posted by amnicoll on 15/11/2014 at 05:19

To be honest just wander around the food markets and experiment there is so much to chose from and it is all good. To get the best you might need a local guide to show you some of the specialities

#4 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 897
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by noddytravel on 30/11/2014 at 06:30

an extract from my blog...

But the standout, hands down winner in Penang is Kafe Yeap Noodles on Lebuh Chulia, in fact it is by far the best food I have had in Asia (ok I probably had better in China, but they were 5 star restaurants with price tags to match). We have been eating there every day, sometimes twice!

Yesterday’s meal included 4 dishes (we didn’t need 4, the portions are great. Just being greedy!), 2 beers and a Langon drink and came in at just under $10, so the value is as amazing as the food. Plus their beer is as cheap as I have found in town at only 6.50 myr for a can, with most places asking over 10.

Do NOT miss Kafe Yeap Noodles while in Penang, we have been slowly working our way through the entire menu and will be heading there again in a couple of hours before riding over to Batu Ferringghi to watch the Aussie football!!

Every dish is amazing, but you really must try the Loh Bak, the black pepper pork/chicken noodles, the sweet & sour, the sesame and ginger, the curry….. well, you get my point, but definitely try the Loh Bak, I had never seen it before and was amazing. We seriously only stayed in Georgetown this long because we can’t bear to leave this restaurant behind!

[img]https://images-blogger-opensocial.googleusercontent.com/gadgets/proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2F2.bp.blogspot.com%2F-v3f_CVJrkf0%2FU_gTI_WEBcI%2FAAAAAAAADCM%2F0y3J1-HN9SE%2Fs1600%2FDSC02187.jpg&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*[/img]

#5 noddytravel has been a member since 18/2/2014. Location: Australia. Posts: 25
 Send noddytravel a private message   Where has noddytravel been?   Website 

Posted by gecktrek on 1/12/2014 at 01:06

i can only second visiting the different food markets/hawker centres around town... daawgon, that's a great food site, lots of my fav's listed there!

#6 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 146
 Send gecktrek a private message   Where has gecktrek been?   Website   Flickr  

Posted by gecktrek on 4/12/2014 at 18:18

hey joney, i'd recommend buying and reading a malaysian travel guide of your choice, then check-out some of the many useful online resources such as travelfish malaysia and wikitravel malaysia... after that, feel free to ask any specifics...

#7 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 146
 Send gecktrek a private message   Where has gecktrek been?   Website   Flickr  

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.