Photo: Kayaking Langkawi's mangroves.

Malaysia forum

Is Sabah Malaysia safe for a women alone

Posted by k1ttyfantastic0 on 17/1/2015 at 17:47

Hi

I am looking at going to the Sabah region for about two weeks in August, mostly around Sandakan and Kota Kinabalu. I can't find much information on women travelling alone in this region and would like to know how safe it is? I read about the kidnappings in Eastern Sabah which freaked me out a little bit but still want to go.

I have travelled extensively by myself and a fair bit through SEA (Cambodia/Laos/Thailand). I will be staying in budget accommodation and would book day trips out to the jungle/beach/mountains so any tips on this would also be great.

Cheers

Kitty

#1 k1ttyfantastic0 has been a member since 17/1/2015. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 18/1/2015 at 15:36 admin

Nothing springs to mind that would have me giving more warnings than anywhere else in Southeast Asia. In Kota Kinabalu last year there were plenty of female backpackers around and some were travelling alone. In Kota Kinabalu drop into El Centro Bar it is a backpacker/traveller centre with very switched on owners who run some interesting trips and projects across Sabah -- that would be my first stop.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,933
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.