Text page

Malaysia

Malaysia forum

10 days in Sarawak - Longhouse stay?

Posted by DrDreidal on 30/1/2015 at 20:30

Hi all,

As part of our six month stint through Southeast Asia, we will be spending 10 days in Sarawak. Currently, all we have planned is some time in Kuching, Bako NP, and a visit to the Orangutan sanctuary.

I would very much like to visit and stay in a longhouse during my stay, but have heard mixed reviews about the one close to Kuching.

Can anyone recommend a good area to visit some more traditional longhouses that would be doable in a 10 day visit?

Thank you!

#1 DrDreidal has been a member since 30/11/2014. Posts: 15

Posted by captainbkk on 2/2/2015 at 01:47

Frankly- have just also been to Srawak-Brunei-Sabah in nov'14- ALL that are open/acessible for orang turis are tradisional in the sense that they are old, but the people living there are not and just live normal lives. Just like visiting hilltribes here in TH.
Also: how is your routing in Srawak? fly in and OUT also from Kuching-in that case travel burdens all too much.

#2 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Posted by DrDreidal on 2/2/2015 at 10:36

Thank you for your feedback. So, you don't really recommend staying in a longhouse as there aren't too many traditional communities remaining?

Our plan is to fly in to Kuching from Bali and then fly from Kuching to Saigon. Do you have any other recommendations for 10 days in Sarawak outside of Kuching and Bako NP?

Thank you!

#3 DrDreidal has been a member since 30/11/2014. Posts: 15

Posted by gecktrek on 2/2/2015 at 14:58

hey, apart from the stuff around kuching, i took a boat up to sibu and onto kapit and back, not sure if you would have enough time...

#4 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 171

Posted by DrDreidal on 2/2/2015 at 15:03

Yeah, I've heard that the boat trips are supposed to be incredible! So you just took the boat from Sibu and then boat to Kapit and then boat back to Kuching?

How long was that endeavor? What did you see/do?

I've also looked into Mulu NP but it may be too far to reach on a short trip.

#5 DrDreidal has been a member since 30/11/2014. Posts: 15

Posted by anchalina on 2/2/2015 at 19:52

I do recommend Mulu National Park. It's amazing and affordable.
You can stay in their dorm or in any if the nearby guesthouses if you're travelling on a budget. Otherwise the bungalows are very nice there. You can fly in from Kuching (60+ mins) or Miri (30 mins).
Check out the website of the National Park for the details.

Enjoy!

#6 anchalina has been a member since 2/2/2015. Posts: 1

Posted by Cajsa321 on 17/4/2015 at 05:49

Here i would like to share some names of the attractions of Sarawak:

Bako National Park
Mount Santubong
Niah National Park
Lambir Hills National Park
Fort Margherita
Loagan Bunut National Park
Mount Mulu
The Astana, Sarawak
Deer Cave
Miri City Fan

#7 Cajsa321 has been a member since 17/4/2015. Posts: 13

Posted by cortina61 on 27/10/2015 at 07:18

Have you managed to find a site to book accommodation in Bako NP ? I couldn't find anywhere other than emailing Sarawak area direct.
Not heard back yet.

#8 cortina61 has been a member since 27/10/2015. Posts: 4

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.