Text page

Malaysia

Malaysia forum

7-10 days during the low season in Malaysia (end of Sept)

Posted by chewshoe on 14/9/2015 at 08:23

Hi all,

I'm currently in Thailand and my visa is about to expire. Rather than extend it looks like I can get a return flight to KL for the same price so on a whim I booked up a flight from the 21st Sep. Have yet to book the return segment but will look to have about 7-10 days in the country.

I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions for a rough itinerary for this time of year?

I don't really mind inclement weather and prefer less touristy places if possible (who doesn't?).

I don't have a huge desire to spend much time in KL so will probably only overnight it there and then loop back for the flight out. Georgetown sounds more up my alley. Other than that, the kind of things I like are:
- travelling by train
- easyish hikes (wouldn't mind hiking up a small mountain but the prices of Mt Kinabalu put me off - not to mention it would all be booked up.)
- chatting to locals / eating local food
- nature / outdoor activites
- cultural sites

The things I don't really like much are:

- organised tours
- resorts
- shopping
- ... just spending a lot of money in general (!)

I'm also not too fussed about beach life / snorkeling etc as I've had my fill elsewhere over the last few months.

I guess I'd like to try and keep my budget under $25 US a day if possible (I'm fine staying in hostel dormitories and eating local food, travelling by bus etc) but I'll also splurge occasionally if there's an attraction that I really want to do/see.

So yeah, flying in and out of KL, about 7-10 days to kick around. What's out there?!

Thank you! [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

Chew

#1 chewshoe has been a member since 14/9/2015. Posts: 2

Posted by antoniamitchell on 15/9/2015 at 15:06

Penang / Georgetown sounds pretty perfect for your needs, so I'd probably spend 4 or so nights there. In terms of other destinations, I'm guessing you'd enjoy more of a local-feeling sort of place, maybe someplace like Taiping (it's low-key call to fame are the lake gardens, but they're really not popular with western tourists so you don't see too many of them there), and from there you can easily day trip to a few other places, maybe Ipoh. These places are also on a logical loop back down to KL to fly back to Thailand.

#2 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 566

Posted by chewshoe on 15/9/2015 at 21:56

Many thanks for the detailed reply!

I have actually decided to take the train up from Penang back to Bangkok rather than fly out of KL now. So will definitely be checking out Georgetown (albeit perhaps in the rain!).

I was thinking that I may be able to a loop through the middle of the country, up to Kelantan via Taman Negara and then across to Penang.

I'll have 10 days in all - bit of a whistlestop tour, but I'm quite happy sitting on buses/trains and watching the scenery go by. Hopefully I can catch a little good weather on the east coast too before heading back into the rain!

Cheers again for the help,

Chew

#3 chewshoe has been a member since 14/9/2015. Posts: 2

Posted by amnicoll on 29/9/2015 at 06:25

check out the jungle railway - you can get a bus from KL to somewhere like Mentakub and pick up train from there and then head across to Penang from somewhere like Tanah Merah

If the reason for going to penang is to catch the train to bangkok you could instead stay on the east coast and cross the border at Sungai Golok and pick up the train from there

#4 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 976

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.