Text page

Malaysia

Malaysia forum

A Few Questions about KL, Penang and Langkawi

Posted by orchid7798 on 13/11/2015 at 10:16

We are travelling to Malaysia for three weeks in Dec/Jan. We have 10 days in Borneo and from Dec 31 to Jan 8 in KL, Langkawi and Penang . We are a family of four with two children (5 and 3).

- With only 9 days, what would you recommend in terms of seeing two or all three of these locations?

- Is 2 days in KL (farm in the city, towers, city center park), 4 days in Langkawi (beach, spice garden?) and 2 days in Penang (sight-seeing around town) enough? or would you do it differently?

-How difficult is it to get from KL to Langkawi or Penang if we're not flying? Train/boat/bus?

- If we were to try to get to both Penang and Langkawi, which would you go to first or does it matter in terms of ease of transportation from KL?

- I'd like to stay near KL city center park, but the hotel options I've found are in Chinatown. Is it pretty easy to get around KL?

I'd appreciate any help or advice you could offer. Thank you!

#1 orchid7798 has been a member since 12/11/2015. Posts: 3

Posted by daawgon on 14/11/2015 at 12:50

I was in Penang , Kuching and KL last Feb-March. I loved Kuching, but was quite disappointed in Penang and just plain hated KL. Why not think about Malaka instead of KL? On Penang, I would suggest avoiding Georgetown in favor of Batu Feringi (nice beach). I understand bus travel in MY is excellent. I used Air Asia for everything.

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 1,159

Posted by saryant on 14/11/2015 at 21:28

daawgon: I have to disagree. If you're going to Penang, stay in Georgetown, especially if you're going to Langkawi (why waste time with Batu Ferringhi in that case?). Spend a day exploring Georgetown (which basically means spend a day eating), then take the second day and head up to Air Itam for Kek Lok Si.

#3 saryant has been a member since 26/7/2014. Posts: 7

Posted by antoniamitchell on 15/11/2015 at 01:05

Hi,
As you've only got 8-9 days i'd recommend that you only do 2 of the 3 locations, as it will take you most of a day to get from KL to either of the islands, and presumably you'll also need to get back to KL to fly home.

Getting from KL to the islands isn't hard, just a bit time consuming. Buses can take you all the way to Georgetown (across the bridge) or to the mainland next to where the ferry goes from. I'd check where the buses to Georgetown drop you - they used to end up at a bus depot away from the centre of the town. If that's still true you'll need to take a bus to the centre. The ferry drops you at the centre.

For langkawi if not flying you're looking at a bus to another ferry. The trains in Malaysia tend to be slower than the buses.

There are ferries between penang and langkawi. Penang is quicker to get to from KL than langkawi is.

Finally the hotels near klcc are mostly business class so a lot of budget accommodation is around Chinatown or the southern side of the golden triangle. But KL is really easy to get around - there's an efficient elevated train system, plus city buses etc.

Hope that helps

#4 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 566

Posted by Farahin31 on 14/12/2015 at 03:52

Hi Orchid!

Welcome to KL! :D

I'm Malaysian, and currently stay in Kl..

Basically, the hotel that's located in Chitatown is totally in KL. It's nearly to Pasar Seni's lrt station which is help you to get connected with these public transport to go any attraction places such as Masjid India (located at Masjid Jamek's lrt station) and Bukit Bintang/Star Hill (located at Bukit Bintang's commuter station)..

Don't worry. Shuttle buses (free service) also provided at Pasar Seni's lrt station.. :)

Next answer:

2 days in KL? Hmm.. i suggest you all to use Hop On Hop Off's buses. This buses help you to cover most of attraction places in KL in just 1 whole day.. such as Masjid Negara (National Mosque), Taman Tasik Perdana (parks includes orchid's park, bird's park etc.), Istana Negara (Royal Kingdom), Starhill (shopping mall, Arabic food) and etc. But to use this transport, you may get the ticket nearby at Pasar Seni's lrt station.

That's all i can help you. I don't really know much about Kl/Penang/Langkawi.

**Don't forget to join any travel group of Malaysian in facebook. It may be helpful for your journey.

:D

#5 Farahin31 has been a member since 14/12/2015. Posts: 1

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.